Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

Shur Flo fittings

I just got my first Shur Flo today. I noticed it says to use plastic or non metal fittings because of the damge that could happen to the threads. Does anyone still use metal fittings on both sides of the shur flo pump and on the inlet of the trigger gun? What is the smallest battery I can use for it and it still work fine? Any 12 volt battery?

You can use metal fittings, however, be careful when tightening them as you are going into plastic and have a good chance of cracking the housing if you tighten too much (use teflon tape). Also, depending on what chemicals you use (acids or alkaline), the non plastic fittings may get corroded very quickly.

If you use plastic fittings, make sure you put a strain relief on the exit side of the pump (clamp the hose to something) otherwise you will crack the fittings as you move the hose. Keep spare fittings.

I have been using $20-$25 Sears Diehard Lawn Tractor batteries for 3 years.

Have not replaced one yet. 10-12 hours of use are no problem after a full charge. Keep a charger on hand in case you forget to charge (they charge quickly).

I had a plastic fitting crack on me a few months ago.

So i'm back to using brass fittings now and just don't tighten them to hard.

I go through lawn mower batteries very often (Wal Mart brand) So I switched to the smallest car battery which I spray with for days with.Bigger battery also helps the pump prime faster to me.They are heavy to carry but last forever with out recharging.

I use brass barbed fittings on my sureflow and have had no problems. To get an idea of how different batteries compare, look at the amp hour rating. The higher the number, the longer it can supply adequate power. Most sureflows draw 6-7 amps, it is marked on the sticker on the front of the case.

It would be nice if you could take the batteries amp hour rating, and divide the amps that the sureflow draws to reach total usage time, but I don't think that works in the real world environment.

I do know that my big honkin' Sears Diehard marine battery can power my sureflow for two weeks, and I wash a LOT of decks weekly. Of course I get tired of the weight, but the capacity is awesome.

Perhaps a 12v connection inside the trailer could be installed, with a pig-tail on the sureflow setup, to allow recharging while driving between sites.

The kind of batteries used in jetskis would be adequate. They are small and pack a lot of punch. They can be charged many times, too. Expect to pay around $70 for a very good one.

That's a good idea. A jet ski battery is a scaled down version of a deep cycle marine battery. I don't remember ever seeing a plastic battery case that small, I wonder if one is available somewhere?

I bought a new battery for our jet ski last summer, and it was around $70.

I just got my first Shur Flo today. I noticed it says to use plastic or non metal fittings because of the damge that could happen to the threads. Does anyone still use metal fittings on both sides of the shur flo pump and on the inlet of the trigger gun? What is the smallest battery I can use for it and it still work fine? Any 12 volt battery?

Are you going to use this for your brick cleaning Steve?

Jason

Steve how far can you spray chem with your shur flo i wont to stay on the ground on my next roof job

Daryl

East Shelby Power Cleaning