Sign in to follow this  
Atlantic Power Washing

Deck mildew after 2 months.

Question

I cleaned and sealed a deck in the early part of July. I talked with the guy today and he asked if I would come and look at it because it looked really old and white spots all over it.....That puzzled me because I know I cleaned it properly, I’ve been doing this for eight years now. So I went out today and looked at it....The white spots were sap coming through since the wood was drying on the inside, but what puzzled me the most was the amount of mildew that had grown on it in 2 months time.....the sealer I used was Wolmans rain coat cedar....I sprayed it on with an airless and brushed the whole deck, meaning I would spray 5 boards and then brush the sealer into the wood. I asked if it was repelling the water, they said "yes it was". I wanted to see for myself, so I took a hose and sprayed it down and sure enough it was repelling 100%....So I asked if was still wet in the mornings(after a rain in the evenings) and what time it dries...They said " well before you sealed the deck, it was usually dry but now it's wet until about 11:00 or 12:00 when the suns comes to the back side of the house"....So my conclusion is since this sealer is not allowing any water in the wood, the water just sits on top and beads until the sun dries it up around noon.....Mildew spurs are floating around and attaching themselves to the beads of water.....in fact, the deck looks like a leopard now, big black spots that look like beads of water......Anyways, what a weird predicament. Since my sealer is doing it's job I have to go and clean the deck again after just 2 months.

2 answers to this question

Is that Wolmans water base or oil base?

Is the mildew on the surface? Will it wipe off the top or is in the grain of the wood? Could be the trees around the deck dropping something if it's on the surface.

That sap not much you can do about that but scrap and sand it then touch up it up.I usually leave some touch up and let the homeowner touch up over time.