Sign in to follow this  
troyt

ratios

Question

Anyone have some good links to learn how to figure ratios or percentages. I see them mentioned often, and would like to learn, to save money. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

You should know the draw rate of your piece of equipment (you should confirm by testing). You can test by filling a 5 gallon container and drawing water from it while timing how long it takes, then use the average to get your gallons per minute draw rate.

Ratios and percentages are fairly easy to calculate.

Your first number should always be your chemical, with the second number being water. For example:

1:5 ratio is a 16.7% dilution/concentration.

Think of it this way:

1 part chemical plus 5 parts water is a total of 6 parts;

1 part divided by 6 parts = 16.66% or of your mix is chemical

1:2 ratio is 33%

1:3 ratio is 25%

1:4 ratio is 20%

1:9 ratio is 10%

etc., etc.

I think of it this way, Not sure if its right, but, Here it goes.

1 to 5 would be 1 oz of chem to 5 parts water or 1 cup of chem tofive cups water or 1 gallon of chem to five gallons of water, works good for me.

Matt

One important thing to understand is which number (1st or 2nd) refers to the water. I usually see the larger number expressed first, which refers to the water. For example a mix may specify 5 to 1, which translates to 5 parts water to 1 part chemical. It doesn't matter whether you're talking ounces, cups, gallons, whatever, as long as you maintain the 5 to 1 ratio. It's not very often you'll see directions state to mix as a 33% mix. But I think it's important to understand all the aspects of measurement, which comes in handy if you really want to become an efficient power washer.