Sign in to follow this  
ogetnom27

The Acrylic Strip to end all!

Question

post-5096-137772327154_thumb.jpgHey guys,

First post of the year for me and now I've gone full time into the biz. Out of the restaurant biz for good.

Anyway, I took a job that has turned out to keep me up at night. Have resorted to counting sheep until I get to the one that looks like an Ambien, then I just swallow it! lol.

They had said it was acrylic latex paint on there now.They wanted to go with a semi-solid,so they could see some grain. Ok, no big deal. But getting into the job, found that it was actually acrylic stain. As you can see in one pic it penetrated deep into the wood and left dark gray areas everywhere.

I ended up having to make an NaOH mix so "hot" that it was just about boiling! Still had to hit it hard with the gun. Now I am left with literally about a million pieces of latex everywhere, and a whole lot of sanding ahead of me. Keep you updated. Mike

post-5096-137772327175_thumb.jpg

post-5096-137772327195_thumb.jpg

post-5096-137772327222_thumb.jpg

post-5096-137772327243_thumb.jpg

Edited by ogetnom27
re-arrange pics

2 answers to this question

Mike what are you using to tape the plastic when you strip the deck? How does it hold up against the water and chemical, and do you ever have problems with stripper getting behind the plastic?

I've never used plastic when stripping but it looks like a good idea on the job like that. Just curious how you set it up

Hey Chaz,

It's 3 mil plastic with Gorilla Duct tape. I don't know why, but the gorilla tape never seems to damage the paint when you take it off( plus it's 2-3 times stronger than regular duct tape) That room that you see is all screened in, with some ridiculously expensive outside furniture in it, with carpeting. Had to make it totally watertight.

Edited by ogetnom27
spelling