Sign in to follow this  
metcalfec

House Wash mix and things to be aware of!

Question

Hello everyone,

I have been doing much reading about house wash mixes and feel that my starting point will be 2gal. 6%SH + 8oz. Simple Cherry + 3gal. water and some dawn dish soap. I will also be running SO Soft in my rinse water. My question is, are there any surfaces I need to be aware of and should I worry about colours fading because of the SH. I have a 4gpm cold pw and will be using a M-5 xjet with the red proportioner.

I know I need to keep plants watered well, I am specifically asking if there are any building materials that this mix will cause damage or bleach the color of ie. stucco, dryvit, aluminum/vinyl siding,wood etc.

Also if I can add to your postings regarding the gutters, for those who mix there gutter zap in a 5er and apply with a brush I thought to prevent dripping and damage to underliying materials I would use a sponge mop and with one pail of gutter zap and another pail of water to rinse my sponge inbetween each use. I cleaned a rubber roof on an rv last season and this was the method used to prevent the cleaner from running down the sides of the rv which in turn causes black streaks. The sponge holds in the chemical with no dripping if used properly. Just a thought and hopefully good advice!

Chris

35 answers to this question

Shawn you can get a 15 gallon drum of 12.5% for $29.32 from acme southern, off westinghouse.

We do most of our houses around charlotte for at least 250 and up. one story a little less.

what have you been charging?

Dave, thanks for the info! I will give them a call for sure tomorrow and go pick some up. I am assuming they sell in 55 Gallon drums as well for a cheaper price? I have been charging about $150-$185 on a single story and $200-$250 on a two story depending on how many cut ins it has, brick front, etc etc. Seems that I need to raise my prices a bit...??? When you do a house with brick in the front and vinyl on the back and sides, are you hitting the brick as well even if there is no mold or such on it or just hitting the vinyl. I was thinking about this the other day on a house I was doing and was wondering what the majority of the people are doing. A lot of homes so far have very clean brick and just moldy siding and sometimes a bit of dirt and mold towards the bottom of the brick.

At the risk of sounding like an infomercial.......there are great benefits to joining a local network like PWNC

Unlike on the forums (disclaimer: TGS ROCKS with information) within the PWNC you have a different kind of support structure to help you - which would include working with an established company in or near your demographic who has the experience with local dirt and a solid finger on what you should use to compose your pricing.

Celeste

Celeste, you dont sound like an infomercial dont worry haha. I plan to join PWNC here in the next few weeks once I get a few more things knocked out of the way (I am in the process of moving so have a lot of things to take care of). I have looked at the site and hopefully I can benefit from it.

Shawn, usally lightly and quickly wash brick. acme number is 704-523-1452, you have to order it before you pick it up.

Celeste I got your packet in the mail, and will sighn up in the next week or two. thanks

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but Dave, I called Acme Southern today to order that 15 gallons of SH and they said I need a commercially licensed vehicle to pick it up and not my work or personal truck... How did you go about getting this stuff yourself?

Thanks.

15 gallons and they wouldn't let you take it in your work truck? just silly IMO.

HOWEVER, if you haven't considered putting commercial tags on your vehicle, you should. It's actually less expensive to insure (for the coverage you get) and you won't pay some sillyass delivery fees to get 15 gallons of stuff!

Yeah it was kind of crazy. I asked about a truck and/or van. They said neither. What all is involved to put commercial tags on a truck?

Guess I need to figure out some other company to purchase from. I just cant see why they cannot give me the MSDS sheets like everything else and go on my way as long as it's strapped down in my truck, El Camino or van... Oh well, it's their rules, nothing I can do. Guess I'm stuck with household bleach.

I love this thread. I have to yell at my guys all the time rinse rinse rinse...."we did" then I have to point out the dry chalky bleech on the windows. We go back and wash the windows anyway but its a great example