Sign in to follow this  
ronnie

gazebo

Question

can anyone tell me when cleaning the inside of the roof should it be done first, and when staining should i tarp the floor and do the inside roof first? thanks boo koos everyone, ronnie

8 answers to this question

Ronnie

What's under the gazeebo decking, stone.concrete?

I don't think it's gonna matter what you do first when cleaning.When staining i would stain the ceiling first and yes tarp the floor is it has stone or concrete under it.

If you wanna call me i'll help you out.

Ronnie,

My system is I wash from the outside in, then from the bottom up. Several factors come into play here. What kind of decking is the floor? For composite I tarp the floor with plastic sheeting to protect the composite from chems not specified for composite. By doing the outside in I have a complete soaking of surrounding surfaces around the gazeebo so when I do the inside out, all vegetation is somewhat wet from the start. Bottom up lets me keep things wet and provides more rinsing until I brighten.

Now this is not "the" only way of doing it. This system works very well for me and others may have a system that works for them. In time you will find a system that works for you that may be a combination of others ways of doing them.

When staining PROTECT as best you can anything you don't want stained. For the close in boards get a good quality china bristled brush. They cost more but they do a better job than nylon bristled ones. Take your time staining detail counts.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Reed

BTW, for those who may not know....china bristles are typically white, or off white, while the nylon are typically black. Nylon is more appropriate for latex bases, and china bristles for oil bases.

Hope this helps.....

If you start with the bottom and first and work your way up, there is less of a chance of spotting on the deck. The chems being thrown up up on the roof first can actually leave spots on the wood below if you are not carefull. I have always work from the outside in and bottom up just as Reed has stated.

p.s. I have spotted the wood before thats why I do this way now.:rolleyes:

Reed, I always love your very professional & informative posts - best part is the political correctness of them :) Thanks for the tips.

Celeste

Thanks Celeste, I appreciate the kind words.

You take care of my country in NC. Was born in Winston Salem and raised forever in Lumberton. Damn how I miss "God's Country".

Will be doing a bike ride to Deals Gap and Tail of the Dragon at Fontana Village Resort next June with a big group of Road King Riders. Can't wait to get back that way.

Reed