Sign in to follow this  
Medic442

First paying job???

Question

Did my first “paying” job this past weekend. Cleaned about 600sq ft of a concrete slab that has never been cleaned for the past 30 years. Then I did about the same footage on concrete block with heavy heavy mold. It took me about two hours with beer breaks… when the job was finished I told the homeowner I would take $150.00 for the work. The homeowner said she would give me a steak dinner with all the fixings in trade… gee moms are great!!!!

But on a serious note… I did the work in about two hours with breaks, moving stuff around, and clean up. The concrete slab never looked that good before the entire time when i lived at home. Wow it’s amazing how things can turn out when you do your homework and read the proper ways of doing things.

Thanks for all the info posted on this board.

2 answers to this question

Celeste well said and very true.

Medic there is no better place to get your feet wet then doing a freebie for a relative and no better place to screw up if you err in as you practice for that first true paying job.

Besides hint to "mom" to spead the word around as if that patio was bad so are the neighbors.

Now a suggestion, charge more and try to get the customers to have things moved out of your way before you begin work.

When I do dumpster pads it is my policy to move the dumpsters and sweep up the little stuff but the customers to have all the major trash off the ground.

Same should apply to homes and decks but since I don't do those not sure what is considered standard in our industry.