Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Does this seem too good to be true????

Question

http://www.sealmaxx.com/process.asp

Not just anyone can buy this stuff - one must be a dealer (for the small price of $78,000 for an area of only 250,000 persons) - but I'm more curious as to what is in this stuff that will allow you to GUARANTEE IT TO LAST FOR 25 YEARS!!!!!!!! (They say they can guarantee 100 years but 25 sounds more reasonable)

Out of curiousity, we did call and speak to someone at Seal Maxx. According to them, the concrete sealant can penetrate up to 8 inches and then can still be stained with anything. The wood sealant goes onto a wet deck (?) then can be stained but then this will make the stain last 3 times longer. They will guarantee "their" stain for 7 years.

How 'bout them cookies?

Celeste

10 answers to this question

I'm new to wood care and generally lurk here and other boards to learn, but their 25 year claim seems a little too good to be true. I'm not bashing the product, just skeptical.

Maybe Russ will see this thread and chime in...

Scott Vickrey

Collierville, TN

It's not just wood care either.....they guarantee this sealant on concrete & masonry as well. It's a big franchise thing.....we did get some conflicting information from the rep we spoke to as far as the concrete and it's abilities after sealing but my thing is - what can you put in a sealer that is that strong but that will also allow ANY TYPE stain to be applied and then say it will make the stain last longer. And the bigger question - how much does this stuff cost to use??????? It's got to be through the roof.

The guy that originally (on another board) that put his link up is getting into this and says that their repeat business will be brightening? How can you brighten the wood periodically if it's sealed so tight? (Confusion is setting in!)

Celeste

There are many masonry/concrete sealers out there that have 25yr gurrantees (is there even a right way to spell 'gurrantee'?). I have no doubt there are products that would bond to wood and last that long (i.e, some epoxies,etc). Their problem will be when mold grows underneath the film. Other than that I believe that you could make a product that "sealed" the wood, but it would still need to be cleaned. Think about it, car paint lasts that long racing 75mph into dirt, rain, etc. Still gets dirty though.

This not only seals the wood but guarantees the WOOD for 25+ years. Supposed to go so deeply into it then forms another type of bond inside the wood - sounds like a man-made petrification process. What if you were to go try & strip a deck with the "sealant on steroids" stuff (but didn't know it was there)? Wonder what would happen?

Celeste

Jon I believe the part about a product that could seal wood for that long but only a product like 2 part epoxies like Smith & Co. or the West marine system but a stain wouldn't penetrate somethinh like that at least I don't think.

I'mspecious of any new "miracle" anythings...I apologise if I'm wrong but the MSDS doesn't seem to read right....NO reactivity with ANY other substances..its ph is 11.1 wouldn't that react with an acid substance? wordings like "mildly" irritating to eyes..the recommendation to just dump whats left down the drain just doesn't sound right. The end of the document states that the MSDS was made by the company.

There's a few pics from Mo.

Mayhaps Reedster knows someone/something about them??

Also notice that the surface cleaner used on the wood (as if that doesn't present a whole different discussion already) is being operated without the trigger being pulled..??..???...??

I saw that picture and wondered about the surface cleaner ... I'm new and hoped someone would mention why it's use would be appropriate.

Scott Vickrey

Collierville, TN