Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Truck questions

Question

Hey Folks,

I have a couple of questions regarding pickup trucks.

First, I am in a quandry regarding the size truck to get, the 1500's vs. the 2500's. I plan to haul a PW trailer with a hot water machine, a 225 gal water tank, doulble axle trailer. Weight of the trailer without water probably around 3,500 pounds. I do not plan to haul water in the water tank and if I do it will be about 1/3 full or less.

Do I need a Dodge 2500, Ford F250 or Chev 2500 to haul this equipment or can I get by with a 1500 as in Ford F150, Dodge 1500, ect.?

Second question, and this is a loaded one, which truck brand do you recommend?

My auto mechanic says anything but a Dodge truck, but I have talked to people with Dodge Rams and they swear by them, but I have also read some stuff about Dodge's that arent very good. So appreciate input on the size truck to purchase to haul the powerwash rig and also appreciate any comments on the various truck manufacturers.

Thanks

34 answers to this question

Leasing works for me, because I don't drive a ton of miles. Of course you can always buy more miles if you drive more, but other costs go up then too.

I get three year leases, perfect because everything is under warranty, so all I really do is change oil, and rotate tires.

Talk with your accountant about tax advantages, and talk to your auto dealer regarding decisions if it's right for you....as opposed to buying.

Morgan makes sense now, yes Dodge and Ford are so easy to come by here you can dicker with every dealer for a super deal. I can understand in your area and most midwest areas Chevy is king so would be hard to find one.

I would think Chevy would up the production if there is such a demand there for them unless they are keeping it low to up the prices.

Someday I will go test one here now that I have time on my hands, or should I say in about 3 month once I can drive again.

I will be offline for about that long now as moving day arrives Monday then a week away with wife then the Doctor does his thing.

Once I can log on again (doctors orders) I will post my new address, phone and Email here but till then I will keep the one I have open.

Take care all.

Jon

We were recently driving to Bryan, TX. when traffic started backing up on this rural highway. We were going about 58-60 mph in a 70 mph zone. Turns out that a guy was pulling a 37' travel trailer with a boat hitched to the trailer.

His tow vehicle was the Chevy Duramax. The truck just didn't have the power to maintain speed. Hills would bring a 10 mph decline in speed. This guy refused to move to the right onto the wide shoulder for other motorist to pass.

In Texas, Dodge and Ford do the work! Don't mean to p you off Morgan just stating the facts about this state. The Duramax can be purchased with comparable discounts as the Dodge and Ford.

I just purchased a new 2004 Ford E.B. 4x4 Excursion with the PSD. The 6.0 engine is so much more refined than the 2000 7.3 PSD I had. Ford finaly built a transmission designed for the diesel. Tow mileage is around 12, city 15 and normal highway is mileage is 18-19.

Like some others have said, know your load and the tow vehicles rated capability. Sure any truck will haul X for awhile. Electic brakes will save you money in the long run and reduce your liability.

Hey is a Dodge half ton gasoline aspirited truck rated to pull 11,000 pounds???????

We were recently driving to Bryan, TX. when traffic started backing up on this rural highway. We were going about 58-60 mph in a 70 mph zone. Turns out that a guy was pulling a 37' travel trailer with a boat hitched to the trailer.

His tow vehicle was the Chevy Duramax. The truck just didn't have the power to maintain speed. Hills would bring a 10 mph decline in speed. This guy refused to move to the right onto the wide shoulder for other motorist to pass.

In Texas, Dodge and Ford do the work! Don't mean to p you off Morgan just stating the facts about this state. The Duramax can be purchased with comparable discounts as the Dodge and Ford.

I just purchased a new 2004 Ford E.B. 4x4 Excursion with the PSD. The 6.0 engine is so much refined than the 2000 7.3 PSD I had. Ford finaly built a transmission for the diesel. Tow mileage is around 12, city 15 and normal highway is mileage is 18-19.

Like some others have said, know your load and the tow vehicles rated capability. Sure any truck will haul X for awhile. Electic brakes will save you money in the long run and reduce your liability.

Is a Dodge half ton gasoline aspirited truck rated to pull 11,000 pounds???????

A 37 foot travel trailer and a boat on behind that is quite a load for any truck. I dont get upset that is why they make so many different brands of trucks everybody likes something different. There is no right or wrong here its all an opinion on who is the best or worst. Buy whats right for you that fits your budget and you dont mind paying for for 5 years.

Hey BE...

Did ya know that Texas is #1 in the USA for sales of the Chevy Suburban? Has been for some time.

In fact, and this is fact, not here say..... many off lease trucks in Michigan are trailered to Texas for auction, so there must be a big demand for trucks of all types there.

I have to agree with Morgan that a 37' travel trailer plus a boat is a big load for any pickup truck. I'd go on the line and say that neither a Dodge or Ford would have an easier time with a load like that.

My neighbor across the street has a F350 diesel, and when he fires it up in the morning, it nearly rattles my windows off. Dodges aren't any better. Now the Duramax has to be the quietest diesel I've ever heard, and that does matter when you're in a residential setting. Just ask your neighbors if they like hearing you fire up in the morning.

Tony,

I know about the Suburban. Had one. Great ride but mine was nickle and diming us to death once it hit 45,000 miles. They are notorious for transmission problems in the 1997-1999 models.

As far as diesel noise all three manufacturers have improved in this category. Chevy initialy led the field. I beleive Dodge now has the quietest engine followed by Ford and Chevy.

The Duramax has had transmission problems. Yes it has an Allison transmission but it was built to G.M. specs. The Dodge is known for the mileage but also suffers from transmission problems caused from enormous torque.

Ford bought back approximatly 500 6.0 trucks since the intrduction of the new engine. I beleive (HOPE) the bugs have ben worked out.

The new transmisson works great. Pulling my enclosed trailer is a breeze. The cab is much quieter than the 7.3 and the engine torque is also superior.

Hey I used to be a Chevy guy!

Personal preferance and need is what it is all about. I would bet by the end of 2005 we will have a factory 500 hp diesel engine coming from the C, D, or F. Can't wait!

As far as diesel noise all three manufacturers have improved in this category. Chevy initialy led the field. I beleive Dodge now has the quietest engine followed by Ford and Chevy.

The Dodge has a 30% quieter motor than it use to have but is in no way quieter than the Ford or Chevy. The Duramax soulds like a gas burner sitting running and only when you gas on it does it get a little louder than a gas burner.

One thing for sure is that the Dodge is cheaper to upgrade the power on than the Powerstroke or the Duramax. I have a friend that has a Dodge Cummins with a 5 speed Farmer of course. He spent $500.00 getting his turned up to 550 hp on the Dyno but then spent $10,000.00 on a clutch that would stand up to that much power. His truck is a 3500 with a Flat Bed on it 4X4 with mud grips on it and he can take off in third gear from a dead stop smoking the back tires and the truck weighs in just over 10,000 lbs. A Duramax or a Powerstroke cost around $5000.00 to get turned up to that much horse power.

Right Now I Tow My 5x10 Trailer With A 2001 Gmc Sierra Which Has The 8.1l (496 Ci ) Gas Engine With The 5 Speed Allison Automatic Now I Have Put Well Over A 100,000 Miles On It And It Still Runs Smooth As The Day I Got It. I Wanted The Duramax But It Was A Little Pricie For Me As A 1st Time Buyer. Maybe In 5 Or So Years I Will Pick Up The Duramax.

Final word, if it moves what your towing and does not break down or require a lot of upkeep then use it till it falls apart.

Then go buy a Peterbuilt, they are built to hual anything you have and then some.

Never mind the price tag since you want something that can make it up those hiills down though the valley and across the desert and still have all the comforts of home inside right?