Sign in to follow this  
cwenbass

Roof Clkeaning questions

Question

I got a call to do a house and owner wants the roof done too. I havent done one and did not want to, but I'll give it a go on a few friends houses first. Few questions.

1. Should I be using 12% bleach or should I use a cleaner?

2. If I am using an x jet, should I add water? What proportion should I use?

3. Any added risks to the surrounding areas I should be concerned with?

4. Should I do the house first then the roof or vice versa?

5. I was planning on just using bleach/water with the x-jet then a duel lance wand with 25 degree tip to clean it off. Does that sound right?

6. How long of a dwell time should it have?

7. Where do I go to add a signature on this sight?

Thanks. Any other tpe would be great.

1 answer to this question

I'm going to assume the cleaning is for mold and algae on asphalt shingles.

1. Research "apple sauce" and "roof cleaning" on this forum. Also, Google the Asphalt Roofers Manufacturers Association's Technical Bulletin on algae discoloration.

2. You could use an x-jet but I would look into a separate set-up to clean roofs. You can buy a shurflo agricultural pump and add about 200' of glass filled hose. Also, research the "phelp's wand" on this forum. You could probably buy the whole set-up for under $250.

3. Yes, the surrounding area is the biggest concern for roof cleaning. It's best to have a ground man watering plants before, during and after cleaning the roof.

4.As a general rule always do the dirtiest work first. Clean the roof first.

5. No, that does not sound right. Never use more than garden hose pressure to clean the roof. In fact, after you spray the chemical and let it dwell for 20 minutes rinse roof with garden hose.

6. Dwell time will vary and it depends on what time of day you plan to clean roof. I only clean roofs in the early morning before they get hot. Twenty minutes is plenty of time. You may have to re-chemical specific areas.

7. Done.

Take the time to research your question to better prepare yourself for the job. NEVER use high pressure to clean asphalt shingles. The strength of your chemical will kill plants if you do not take appropriate precautions to protect them.

Edited by WashRite