Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

winterizing

Hey All,

Is there any opinions for winterizing my machine pump? Would it be better to just pull the pump off and bring it into the warmth of the house or is anti-freeze good enough? The machine will be in an unheated building in Northern Illinois for the winter.......I'd like to bring the whole thing in the house, just not enough room. Any suggestions would be geatly appreciated. Its gonna be getting down into the 20's this weekend, so I have to prepare.

Thanks In Advance

Mike H

Actually, the pink RV antifreeze works very well. Also put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, and if the machine has a fuel shutoff, close it and run the motor till it stalls out, while you are inducing pink antifreeze thru a large funnel and short piece of hose attached to your pump. Hook up and use your hp hose and trigger gun while winterizing, so the unloader will be included.

You can fill yourself with the cheap vodka or gin, while you're winterizine your equipment.

how about the blue washer fluid stuff? I ended up with a ton of it plus it's way cheaper. I've been using RV fluid up to now, but cheaper is better for some applications. Nick

Take your own risk with the blue windshield washer stuff. I've had it slush up in my truck a little below zero. The pink stuff is burst proof down to -50 F.

As far as dollar savings go, let's get real here.

Blue stuff..... about $1.25 gal

Pink stuff..... about $2.50 gal

Is that going to break you? Especially considering the peace of mind factor?

As Al Borland used to say...."I don't think so Tim".

If I didn't already have a ton of the blue stuff from another project, RV would surely be it. I filled my 120 lb heavy punching bag with it and overestimated what I needed.

I might use the blue for the semi-cold months and switch to red when it gets really cold. Nick