Sign in to follow this  
blueyes

Oxaylic Acid and ?

Question

Oxy-cleaned yesterday, this morning house looked good because it had dried a bit, now right before sunset the blackness started appearing again??? So, went to Ace and bought some cleaner/brightner that had Oxylic Acid in it, but it didnt say what amount, its the white detergent like stuff with the Acid in it. Dont know if it will be strong enough. It was enough to just make a gallon, 8oz. of the powder. Wondering if I should get straight oxcylic instead of the stuff with all the fillers in it. If so, where can I buy it? Anyone try the citric acid for neutralizing? Since the black stuff is on the south facing logs,(back of house) is there a need to acid the whole house or just the back? Does the Wood Tux have any insect protection in it? We already put Tim-Bor on the house so it looks like we will have to reapply since we have washed off the back with Oxy-clean, bummer, more money, down the drain again. Concerned about mold and mildew spores that have developed since the house was hand sanded and it took a while, so the south side which we started on has been bare for like over 2 months until we finished sanding the other 3 sides. can bug and mold additives be mixed into wood tux?Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks, Dave

1 answer to this question

I would do a light rewash with 6% bleach 1 gallon to 4 gallons of water with a dash of dish soap before I stained the house. Rinse really well, oxalic it then borate. Let it dry for a few days and stain stain stain.