Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Neutralizing Chemicals

Question

Hello Everyone,

I have read a lot of the older posts but I am still learning and need help with what to use to neutralize different chemicals. I know that you can dilute them with water and keep watering them down will help but I would like to know what to use to neutralize chemicals such as:

Caustic or Caustic based strippers

Acid or Acid based chemicals

I have searched the internet but I cannot find any good answers. I am new to the business and want to work as safe as possible. If I were to have a small spill, I would like to know what to do to neutralize it or what to use to neutralize the different cleaning chemicals. Thanks.

Chris Chappell

Superior Power Washing

Corpus Christi, Texas 78415

361-853-2513

chris969@swbell.net

1 answer to this question

Acids and bases neutralize each other. Water will dilute either one to an infinitely weak solution, but will never take the pH beyond neutral point to cross into the other region (i.e., 1 million gallons of neutral water mixed with one drop of concentrated base will still give a basic solution). Check the MSDS for each chemical for the best ways to neutralize...trying to neutralize certain acids/bases with the wrong base/acid can cause wicked reactions and make the situation worse. Also, there are cases where trying to dilute can make matters worse (the scene in Fight Club with lye is a prime example).