Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Anyone know someone....?

The good thing about owning your own business is usually you are more receptive to seeing successes in other businesses. You are also more apt to know other business owners "out there." I'm hoping that is the case with some folks here. I'm looking into opening a liquor (package) store in my area and would like to talk with anybody who has either done this, worked in one, or knows someone who has done it and wouldn't mind talking about it.

I'm in the process of talking with some of the city council folks and finding out all the laws of opening one, but I'd like some input on things to look out for. Also tips on handling and contacting distributors. I've enjoyed running my own business for the past several years and it would just be a shame to stop now and go work for someone else. If anyone knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody (perhaps an in-law, cousin, friend, etc.), I'd love to contact them.

Thanks for any help ya'll can throw this way. If I can get some help on getting this thing rolling (want up be up and functional by next Feb or March), perhaps I'll host the next roundtable event in Atlanta and have plenty of "goodies" to take home with you!

Ryan H.

Ryan,

I grew up in the liquor business. My Dad retired (almost 20 years ago) as a salesman for a wholesale liquor distributor here in Arkansas. My grandfather was a represenative here (called on the distributors) for Seagrams (I think) for several years after prohibition.

One thing about liquor is that every state is different when it comes to their laws. You should check with the state liquor board. Here in Arkansas it is called the Alchohol Beverage Control board (or ABC). They decide on all new licenses for liquor stores and any type of drink permits for restaurants and clubs. You even have to go before the ABC if you want to move your store. All of this is after the city folks approval.

When it comes to dealing with distributors, you will have to deal with all of them. Each distributor probably has an exclusive on the lines he handles. That is how it is here in Arkansas.

I will say this, the most fun job I've ever had was the semester I worked in a liquor store while at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville in the mid 70's. The regular customers were some of the most interesting people I have ever met. Also, dealing with the other students and the football players was always fun. I have stories I still love to tell.

Ryan, best of luck.

Chuck

Cleaner Times Magazine

Chuck,

Thanks for the info! The laws are a little more relaxed in GA (I know AL has similar restrictions like ArK) and seem more geared towards taxables. I hope to hear from as many knowledgeable people as possible.