Sign in to follow this  
Danny13

Newbee Question My Fence

Newbee Here so be kind.First off I love your site and you have very good info here.I have been reading the forum for months.

Here is my problem.I am trying to clean and Stain and seal my fence for the first time in about ten years.

The fence is 81 feet by eight foot tall(neighbers).I used Thompsons oxy foaming action and used per instuction.

Which is just Sodum percarbonate which I have read is a good wood cleaner?My fence is a shawdow box style which is a

B*** to clean!I think it is cypress wood and it allready had the fusses and after cleaning it looks good except alot of fusses and

the Knot holes are very white.So I am going to use Ready seal on it and I tried a small corner with two coats using a

airless sprayer.My question is do I need to sand it and or use a nutralizer on it and what kind,I have read Borax will

do that?? After the stain it still has nail stains and my knots dont seem to take the stain very well.

Forgive my typing and spelling I am old!!Thank you for any help!

I hope I posted this in the right section.

Thanks Danny13

Edited by Danny13
B*** just read the rules again.Sorry!

The oxalic acid will not only brighten the wood, but that's the part that helps get rid of the stains from the nail heads. Make sure your rinse good after using the acid.

Thanks for the help guys! One more question will oxalic acid also neutralize it? I am going to be Ready Seal.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Danny13

Yes, the acid neutralizes the caustic stripper. Wear a respirator though, because the mist will choke you to death.

Yes, the acid neutralizes the caustic stripper. Wear a respirator though, because the mist will choke you to death.

Thanks that is what I needed to know.Sometimes the more I read the more confused I get. I will be wearing a respirator for everything!!

Thanks again to everyone.

Danny13