Mike

SCORE: Deers 1 - Hunters 0

Question

SCORE: Deers 1 - Hunters 0

From the Indianapolis Star:

Hoosier hunter injured in deer attack

Associated Press

November 11, 2004

NORTH VERNON, Ind. -- A 69-year-old bowhunter was treated for injuries he said he suffered during a wrestling match with an angry deer.

Jim Mick, of North Vernon, said the deer attacked him Monday while he was hunting alone in rural Decatur County in south-central Indiana.

"He came out of the tall grass and briars," Mick, assessor of Center Township in Jennings County, told The Republic of Columbus. "When I realized it, he was on me already."

Mick said the animal that he estimated to weigh about 150 pounds struck him in the chest and knocked him to the ground, goring him in the thigh.

"All I had time to do was throw my hands up and grab his antlers," said Mick.

After about a 10-minute struggle, Mick said he managed to put a tree between himself and the deer, and the animal retreated.

Mick put a makeshift bandage on his leg and returned to his vehicle to call family members for help, he said. His son-in-law took him to a hospital in Greensburg, where he was treated for the gash and other minor injuries and released.

"It was probably a draw, but I think I got the worst of it," Mick said. "I don't think he had any gouge marks on him."

As I was posting this story, another news flash on the morning news and another hunter was attaked by a deer again here in Indiana.

Updated Score: Deers 2 - Hunters 0

Anyone want to come out to the Hoosier state and do a little hunting?

10 answers to this question

This is peak rut here in the midwest and if the ratio of bucks to does is good, the bucks really get aggresive. That is one of the reasons manufacturers tell you not to put attractants on your clothing. That guy was lucky it was young small deer, now if a 4 year old 10 point had tried that, the gentleman may not have faired quite that well. I'm glad he's ok.

Reed

Ditto Reed...

Ther was a guy a few years ago on our land that got mauled because he put hot doe scent on his boots on the way in..Walking in the woods at 4 am smelling like a hot date for a horny buck is NOT the best idea in the world...

FWIW.. This year's bowhunting score... Cujo 2 -- Deer -- 0

:):)

I got a doe on Sunday and a button on Monday (conservation management hunt).

Cover scent on the boots, OK, but estrous scent in a highly populated area is asking for a wrestling match.

Reed 2 Deer 1, that's my score so far. The deer scored one when she walked up withing 10 feet of my back side when I was still hunting and she snorted just so I could see that she was teasing me. You know how fast they can dart away, and I know she was laughing all the while she was.

Going out tomorrow for the end of rifle season, then after thanksgiving for smoke pole (muzzle loader- my favorite).

Reed

Nuthin' wrong with getting does... I'll take one any chance I get. I have also found that no matter how long you boil.. the headgear on a nice buck is just too dang tough to eat. ;)

I have seen several VERY nice trophies this year.. a 140 class 6 pointer is at the top of my list, but he apparently knows I'm armed with only a pointy stick on a string and stays just out of range. Rifle season and muzzleloader have both been in here for about a month, but I still like my bowhunting, so.... maybe we'll break out the firesticks if the season gets late and the freezeer is low..

I just love the missouri unlimited doe tags!!!!!!!!! got three of them opening day.... gona have a freezer full mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... I just cant wait until muzzle loader season.

I got my button buck at Busch with a 50 cal muzzleloader inline. Love the historical method hunts. I have filled 2 doe tags, and hoping to get Mr. Big Buck with the "smoke pole".

Reed

I was hunting with my niece opening weekend when she killed this nice 8 point buck. The only shot she said she could get was to shoot it in the back of the head, needless to say we didn't have to go look for it. I will try for one during muzzleloader season to even the score!

post-48-137772139589_thumb.jpg

Headed out to the woods tomorrow late morning and will stay until Friday evening. Have to do some part time heart scanning Saturday morning, then head back to the woods Saturday afternoon and stay until Sunday pm.

Reed