Sign in to follow this  
DCOutdoors

Starting out on military retirement

Question

Ok, I have already beat myself up for wasting time and money (excitement over ran brain power) so we can skip that part. Can or will you suggest the lowest cost way to start while maintaining a professional image. Military retirement and raising my grandson does not allow for a major investment however it does allow us to live while we grow the business. I am willing to do almost anything to get started.

My goal is to build a full time reputable business that will allow us the income to live while teaching my grandson (12) work ethics and honesty! Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

We are located near Panama City, FL.

David Crockett (Yes, this is my real name)

Edited by DCOutdoors
Include signature before I get in trouble!

15 answers to this question

My advice would be to look on craigslist, for a used pressure washing set up. If your going to be doing driveways all you really need to start is a decent p.w that puts at least gpm, and spend the money for a decent surface cleaner(whisper washer classic), that's what I have and it works great. Then all you need is the hoses, wands, and some other household stuff you should already have. Your best bet is to spend 1000-2500 and get a used set up, so your all ready. Expand from there or if you feel p.w isn't your thing just sell it for what you paid. Good luck, any questions you can ask me, but I'm no expert.

David, read the article about Envirospec's Washin for Warriors program for vets here:

The Washin

You may be able to get free equipment/training and support from Envirospec. I know he (John Allison) has struggled with finding anyone to put into the program. I will email him as well.

David, read the article about Envirospec's Washin for Warriors program for vets here:

The Washin

You may be able to get free equipment/training and support from Envirospec. I know he (John Allison) has struggled with finding anyone to put into the program. I will email him as well.

Allison beat me to the punch because that is exactly what I was going to add. Also if you need a sponsor there... I'll do it for you.. Being Ex Navy Myself, John asked me awhile back if I would get involved with this and I said I would. I didn't know of any vets here where I live( have a few close friends that are ex vets) that wanted to get into the Power washing business..

If all rules are in place here and it's a go and you want a sponsor.. I'll do it. I'll also forward this to John to see if we line up correctly for this--- this maybe your lucky day:wink:

Go to where Allison Hester is directing you to..

Allison: Thank you for the call and suggestions.

John: If this works out, I would be honored to have you as a sponsor. I'll just have to resist teasing you about being Navy (I was Army)! Hope you have a sense of humor. Do you know the difference between the Boy Scouts and the Army? The Boy Scouts have adult leadership...

Grahams: I thought about Craigs list but was concerned about what the previous owner ran through the pump and how it was cared for. Most power washers around here are painters or yard maintenance people who offer pressure washing as another form of income.

Thanl you all for your suggestions - David

Lololol.. I like you already. Hey David do you know what NAVY really stands for?? Never Again Volunteer Yourself:wink:

One of the best things I ever did was join the Military and I ended up near the Pentagon right where they cut the orders for the Navy. I had a choice to pretty much go anywhere if I re-enlisted and I was just about to pick a dream base when I was called in for NYPD back home. I just retired with the police department after almost 25 yrs while enjoying my 17 year now in the Powerwashing business.

So as they say in the Military "Stand Fast". I contacted John and Shelley Allison who are the creators of this project and also the owners of Pressure Washers | Pressure Washer | Pressure Washer Superstore | Power Washer | Power Washers | EnviroSpec and There profits go right here http://www.envirospec.com/pdfs/Suzie_Web_09.pdf

Timing is a thing of beauty.. Let's see if this all falls into the parameters of that project.

Hey David--Where moving fast to find out the next steps. I think your going to be pleasantly surprised. I'll call you some time tomorrow. Your about to retire as an Army Vet and this timing is extrodinary. My daughters boyfriend is graduating HS next month and he's off to Oklahoma July 3rd to begin his 4 yr enlistment for the Army... and in about a half an hour(The rest of my family is there already) I'm heading around the block from me to go to a very dear friend of ours who passed away ultimitaly from the 9-11 attacks on the World Trade Center Hero FDNY firefighter Jim Ryan, dying of pancreatic cancer, makes plea to Congress to pass 9/11 bill - New York Daily News

FDNY Firefighter Jim Ryan of Kings Park, 48, dies

His son Robert is leaving for the Army May 29th so the going away party is now.

What I can't figure is why these two went Army..but then again I went into the NAVY skinny and came out 4 yrs later with an extra chin and ever expanding stomach so maybe thats not there goal:wink:

Talk soon.

Ok, I have already beat myself up for wasting time and money (excitement over ran brain power) so we can skip that part. Can or will you suggest the lowest cost way to start while maintaining a professional image. Military retirement and raising my grandson does not allow for a major investment however it does allow us to live while we grow the business. I am willing to do almost anything to get started.

My goal is to build a full time reputable business that will allow us the income to live while teaching my grandson (12) work ethics and honesty! Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

We are located near Panama City, FL.

David Crockett (Yes, this is my real name)

David first off let me say....God Bless Your Service And Sacrifice Defending Our Country And The Freedom Americans Enjoy And Sometimes Take For Granted.

Now on to your questions....... First it's very easy and inexpensive to project a Professional image, it's another (And not as inexpensive) to provide consistent Professional results. Starting a business (Any Business) starts with a "Plan" which it seems you may have already learned.

What is your level of "Commitment" to starting this Business? I can honestly tell you that you are looking at, at least 5 years before you will see your business fly on it's own. Who is your target demographic? If it's residential, why would a customer pick your service over any of the hundreds in your area, what is going to make your business "Stand Out"? My friend there are more pressure washers or guys that "And Pressure Wash" in Fla. than probably any other State in the Union, it's called "Market Saturation" this is where I would ask you if you're sure a pressure washing business is really what you want to start, think about it.

Owning a pressure washing business means you will wear "Many Hats".... Marketing, Advertising, Accounting, Mechanic, Salesman, Worker......and the list goes on. Washing is the easy part, it's the other parts that are or can be hard or harder. Equipment is the least of your worries right now. Again you need a plan.

My yard is filled with the equipment of guys who thought equipment was all they needed to be successful, bought for pennies on the dollar. They didn't think about the "Other Hats" they needed to wear. There is a saying in our Industry..."Pressure Washing is the easiest business to get into, and the fastest to get out of" again think about it.

Being a Vet, I would look into every "Small Business Start Up" opportunity that is out there, but I would advise getting into some small business or business classes wherever you can first. I'm sure I could lead an assault force against a hostile enemy, but I'm sure I wouldn't be as successful at this as you would be, why? Because you have more knowledge & training about this than I do. Again.....have a plan.

Just equipment alone, I could see spending $6000.00 for a cold water residential trailer set up. That's new equipment and on the low side. But what about marketing materials, website, insurance, software, chems., vehicle, and extra capital for what if's? Have a plan.

Hope this helps..... Again, Thank You & God Bless!!!

Thanks Guy - I actually agree with everything you have said... well... except I was more optimistic about the time frame... I figured three to five years. I have a business and marketing background and am aware of the required hats so am pretty comfortable with that. While I will probably use wordpress for the website, I am capable of designing and maintaining my own site. Insurance - $195 to start - $62 per month for a million dollar policy. I will up this when I move to commercial.

Marketing Note: the easiest businesses to market are the high end or the low end - never in the middle... you compete with the other two. I will seperate myself by stressing I am niether a painter or yard maintenance guy - I specialize in caring for your home, decks, docks, and fences. I want to learn a bit more before I tackle a 500-foot dock. As for pressure washing specific marketing, again, I am all ears.

I can't describe how committed I am but will say, one way or another, it's going to work. I will start with residential till I am established and comfortable before moving to commercial. For now, I will stay off the roofs (to easy to mess up) and out of the driveways (they are huge around here).

My intentions are to hire veterans for a couple of reasons that I won't get into here. My wife claims the Army brain-washed me when it comes to things like: "The mission always comes first," Loyalty, Dedication, and a lot more.

Most importantly, I will gladly listen to and learn from everyone who has experience and cares to share! I am a fanatic about doing the job right and exceed expectations.

Thank you for your time and thoughts - God Bless you as well.

PS: If you need help with that assault force, let me know...

Edited by DCOutdoors

Hey David I'll call you later today.. Running around like I always do with my I-pad under my arm -looks like a darn pocket book-- but hey "Don't ask don't tell"...ummm that is don't shoot the geek... Ok that sounds better:wink:

Guy who gave you that good advice above doesn't need any assault training.. he's a one man wrecking crew like Arnold was in the "Terminator". Guys a big dude who's nice as humble pie....

If you know how to Market like you say you can you will be getting plenty of calls in no time.. I can see you passing up a tall building at this time but driveways and especially roofs there a pot of gold in them. You will just have to step it up with your training and reading. Go to YouTube and search roof cleaners and watch some video's. Also look for some of there bulletin boards like this one and get on them. Absorb anything and everything and don't be afraid to then get to work.

There are plenty of not to expensive Powerwashing classes out there that you can track down to speed up your training where also some of them offer a certification which you can market market market.

There are some organizations to consider joining down the road such as the The PWNA - The Power Washers of North America, United Association of Mobile Contract Cleaners etc that you can go to there conventions and network network network with the guys there and take plenty of classes. The PWNA has there annual convention in Orlando this October where I'll be there and John Allison maybe as well. You don't have to join to go to the convention but it saves you a few bucks. The ***** is supposed to be coming out with some info themselves in the near future as to what they have in plan for there members and non members alike. You can also advertise there logo's to give your website a more professional look to it so potential customers can see that you are a very professional company by them also having the ability to look your company up on the orgs website. Everything helps these days..so always stay ahead of your competitors by joining groups that support you and your business.

Lastly as far as joining something in the very near future I would look into the Pressure Washing Resource PWRA to be more specific. There good because they have group discounts and benefits that you get immiedetly. Such as over a 100 of downloads at your disposal. They also have very discounted rates if you do mailers for example. The owners there Thad and Chris especially Chris on this one, since he orders a million plus pieces a year to send out he has made it a benefit for members to pay the same price he does for the postcards so right there you can save your membership fee right off the bat.

That one I would consider to join ASAP. The very least you can go to there bulletin board and log in and connect with tue guys there. ***** has the same feature with there bulletin board. The PWNA you get a free yearly subscription to the Cleaner Times and you are guaranteed an excellent convention year in and year out..

You have tons of choices along with learning from Guys like.....Guy who like myself has been around the block a couple of.....hundred times.. And that alone to get info for free...is priceless..because some guys and you will pick up who they are..the ladies to.. They really want you to succeed also by doing it right so you to can help raise the bar in this industry by looking professional, acting professional, being very knowledgeable, and doing excellent work because that makes us all look good as well....

Don't you just love this stuff already:wink: you'll be happy you picked the Powerwashing field because no matter what business you join they all have similar success rates which is after 5 yrs only 5% make it.. But don't be deterred. You have us here and after getting thru a career in the Army.... Your resilient already.

Edited by John T

Best advice I ever got... My Mom: Be the best. If you're not, find out who is and learn from them. The Army: Know your limitations. It is the only way you can overcome them. That is what I am doing here and why I appreciate people like you and Guy who will, I am sure (and hope), have no problems telling me when I am wrong and how to do things right.

My marketing skills are based on College (throw big bucks at it till it sells) and having had my own businesses over the years. You both have been in this field for years and know what does and doesn't work. In other words, you are the experts - I am the student. Teach me Obi-Wan (I have no idea if I spelled that right).

I figure I can't be to bright... I was a combat photographer for many years! Went out with the 82nd Airborn, Special Forces, and Rangers. Shoot at me with an AK and I will shoot you with my Nikon... yea... real bright.

David, here's some more info about the PWRA.

Pressure Washing Resource Association (PWRA) | eClean Magazine

We have added some new benefits since then such as the at-cost printing that JT mentioned, more marketing material, and w just added big discounts for The Customer Factor software. Lots more is coming.

If you have any questions just give me a call or PM me.

Thanks Guy - I actually agree with everything you have said... well... except I was more optimistic about the time frame... I figured three to five years. I have a business and marketing background and am aware of the required hats so am pretty comfortable with that. While I will probably use wordpress for the website, I am capable of designing and maintaining my own site. Insurance - $195 to start - $62 per month for a million dollar policy. I will up this when I move to commercial.

Marketing Note: the easiest businesses to market are the high end or the low end - never in the middle... you compete with the other two. I will seperate myself by stressing I am niether a painter or yard maintenance guy - I specialize in caring for your home, decks, docks, and fences. I want to learn a bit more before I tackle a 500-foot dock. As for pressure washing specific marketing, again, I am all ears.

I can't describe how committed I am but will say, one way or another, it's going to work. I will start with residential till I am established and comfortable before moving to commercial. For now, I will stay off the roofs (to easy to mess up) and out of the driveways (they are huge around here).

My intentions are to hire veterans for a couple of reasons that I won't get into here. My wife claims the Army brain-washed me when it comes to things like: "The mission always comes first," Loyalty, Dedication, and a lot more.

Most importantly, I will gladly listen to and learn from everyone who has experience and cares to share! I am a fanatic about doing the job right and exceed expectations.

Thank you for your time and thoughts - God Bless you as well.

PS: If you need help with that assault force, let me know...

Well then my Friend you are way ahead of the curve. No problem with being optimistic David, but you must also be realistic at the same time.

I wish you nothing but the best Buddy!!!

Oh by the way, my main service area is Fayetteville N.C. Home of the 82nd something I'm very proud of. We've done quite a few projects on Ft. Bragg this year. Awesome group of people there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha-ha... yea, I looked at your site and saw the places you service. Talk about Flashbacks! I was there when they called it, "Fayett-nam." '75 to '79. Back then the locals didn't like us much. I understand the area was cleaned up a lot and everything has changed. I used to camp at White Lake just to get away. Small world!