Sign in to follow this  
Jason Reider

My most difficult bid thus far

Question

These are pics of a bid I put in for a township the other week. The entire playground including the fence and picnic tables needs washed (not stripped) and stained with a semi-solid. This also includes inside of the playground towers and bridges. I had to really focus when taking measurements and guesstimates. Decks are one thing, but this kind of had my head spinning and second guessing myself at times while figuring up a price.

post-9608-137772436077_thumb.jpg

post-9608-137772435875_thumb.jpg

post-9608-137772435903_thumb.jpg

post-9608-137772435932_thumb.jpg

post-9608-137772435965_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Oh yeah, looks like a fun project. Lots of difficulty involved just due to the nature of some of the structures. Remember, that stuff is fun to climb around on when you're playing, but it's a whole different story when cleaning and staining it. Keep that in mind and try to charge accordingly. If anything, overshoot the cost, don't cut yourself short.

I think I bid it well. I figured up the square footage, and also came up with how many hours I thought it would take based on my production times. I just hope my measurements/guesstimates were good. I also figured a PITA into the bid.

The township is looking for a new contractor to take this project over. The supervisor stated the old contractor did sub-par work, and I noticed that while doing the walk-thru. He also said that that contractor was half the price of the others. Imagine that!

Your a better man then I Jason. I would run from that project if I was the one doing the work. Elaborate swing sets are one thing but the whole darn playground---cya.

Good luck.

Is there a previous finish remaining on the structures?

Why semi solid?

Scott Hugunin

Scotts Restoration

scott@scottshomeserviceskc.com

Yes, there is a previous finish on it. 20+ years of finish on top of finish. The township wants to keep with the same type of stain as before.

Your a better man then I Jason. I would run from that project if I was the one doing the work. Elaborate swing sets are one thing but the whole darn playground---cya.

Good luck.

Thanks John, I've always been one to look for big challenges. I do know my limits though.

Oil based.

Did you test our your stipper to see how hard it will be to remove the previous products? Since you will have to clean all the structures anyway, it might be just as easy to strip them. It will look a heck of a lot better than adding another coat of oil based solid color.

What type of preservative are you using. (Brand)