Sign in to follow this  
desi

ramps

Hi,

for those of you who load and unload the 4gmp cold water units on & off your trucks daily, are you using any type of home made ramp ? Is a 3/4" sheet of plywood the best ramp to use ?

please advise

I have two ways to load and unload equipment from my trucks. One way is with these ramps I have from Northern and the other way is from a fork lift dolly also from Northern that they no longer sell.

Here's a picture of my fork lift dolly with my Landa and here's another picture of these ramps that I bought when I first started my business in 96 and I still have.

330227_med.gif

Daws Folding Aluminum Ramp End Gate — 1000lb. Capacity

Item# 330227

Discount Price $119.99

post-43-137772140922_thumb.jpg

Hi,

for those of you who load and unload the 4gmp cold water units on & off your trucks daily, are you using any type of home made ramp ? Is a 3/4" sheet of plywood the best ramp to use ?

please advise

The aluminum ramps are the way to go.......We used wood before, 2 problems a) the truck is beefy and is quite high b) when the wood is wet, which it will be from the water dripping all over it, its gets very slippery while trying to walk up that angle backwards dragging that machine.......

best bet--- get a small trailer with a drop gate, itll give you more room for storage of hose, wands, chems and miscl equipment---even with the trailer, you'll use up all that room...... .02

Hi,

please advise

Yes the 3/4" plywood should do the trick, although if the ramp is going to be long, you'd want to screw a couple 2x4 underneath to beef it up. Problem is, it can get heavy, and more cumbersome to move the ramp around.

A typical 4gpm portable cold is 175-195 lbs. If loading into a p/u truck bed, two guys can easily lift and load without a ramp. For one guy, hernia #1 is on it's way.:lgbugeyes

I use trailers to haul my equipment, so the lift height is only about a foot. I keep a piece of OSB in the trailer, for a quick ramp, in case I'm working by myself, and tired.

Normally, we use two guys per crew, so it's not a problem to just heft in/out the washer.

Get a height measurement from your truck, and then you can figure how long the ramp needs to be. This will give you an idea when it's a good time to switch over to aluminum.