Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

Look what I found

Question

I was doing a search trying to find pics of badly washed decks. Look what I found in one article. Can you believe that they say use 3000 psi minimum? That is crazy. So what would be ideal? 10,000 psi? Maybe their theory is to shave have of your deck off. I guess you would have to do a lot of sanding after blasting the wood with 3000 psi, MINIMUM.

POWERWASHING

My deck is brand new, why do I need to powerwash it?

How long has it been since the lumber for your deck was cut in the lumber mill? Is it fair to say it has been several months or more? What would your freshly washed face and arms look like if for several months they were exposed to all of the outside climatic conditions of sun, rain and pollution. Would they look brand new? You can take a white kleenex and wipe your face after a few hours of being washed and it will be covered with a black residue.

The new decking you describe was first cut and stacked for shipment. After sitting around in a lumber yard for sometime, then being handled several times with a fork lift and other equipment before it is delivered to your building site is once again exposed to more abuse from sun, dirt and handling. You must therefore correct this problem by powerwashing the entire deck area with a minimum of 3,000 PSI powerwasher. In addition, it may be necessary to sand all sections of the deck to remove any blemishes or shipping marks prior to applying Deck Boss™. By powerwashing the entire surface you will insure maximum penetration of Deck Boss™. Remember, proper preparation prevents poor performance.

3 answers to this question

There are all kinds of experts out there - some are real good and others are real bad.

Watch QVC, and you'll see them pushing a 1400 psi P/W and claim that NO chemicals need to be used. I was amazed to see them showing damage to the wood as the person was demonstrating how well it cleaned w/o chemicals.

I was surfing differant contractors web sites the other night.

Saw one that had some mis-information on it. Was going to bring it to their attention, but decided not to.

After all, I'am just a "Newbie" at this.......... :D