Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Iron Stains - Part II

Question

Awhile back I posted about turning a house orange because of heavily iron laden well water. Well, I've recently run into a very similar problem.

It started on a white vinyl house (again). After cleaning, the customer called to complain of stains on the front of the house that weren't there before cleaning. My guys swear that they were there prior to cleaning, but I don't remember them from running the quote. And they were prominent enough that I would have seen and noted them on the quote. My guess is that they appeared during soap up, and the guys never noticed them (or lack thereof)

until they started rinsing and agitated.

Anyway, when I went back to check it out the stains were prominent, brownish orange. As before, oxalic and an xjet (close range tip) solved the problem in seconds. What differred significantly this time is that the stains were in a variety of spatter and drip patterns. This was very different from house #1 which exhibited a nearly uniform coating over the entire surface. Some spatter was straight on and running down, others obviously at odd angles from impacting another surface before coming to rest.

Anyway, I mentioned the spatter pattern because upon further investigation, it appears to be some sort of spray was applied to the bushes and spattered onto the house where it remained silently until it interacted with the chlorine. Perhaps the bush spray is heavy in iron compounds? FWIW, the bushes looked great. Too great. For as dense as they were planted, there should have been some sign of yellowing, bugs or other normal maladies. Heavily shaped, but no trimming mark. They looked like wax fruit. Too perfect. Obviously heavily tended by someone who knows their stuff.

There are some commonalities in this issue that may be worth noting. Both were vinyl. Both were white. Both house mixes contained a mild caustic in addition to bleach. Both problems manifested themselves only on the front side of the house. House 1, however, only had vinyl on the front side.

And there were some differences . Different water (40 mi apart). Well vs. muni water. Sunny front vs. shaded front. Bushes vs. open up close. Different "soap" added to the bleach.

Anyway, HTH us find out what causes this to happen and predict it's appearance.

6 answers to this question

I made some phone calls - one to our landscaper and one to Everett (who does pest control). These professions usually mix their chemicals off site and it is entirely possible that whomever sprayed the bushes brought chemicals in that were mixed with a high iron content water - thus the rust stains :)

Celeste

I used to own a landscape co. in atlanta - In the spring, we would spray the annuals and perinials with liquid fertilizer (in addition to slow release granules). The liquid fert had a super high nitrogen and iron content. We could 'force' plants to take on beautiful green foliage in a matter of days. Great for new customers to make a high impact when we first started a job.

On occasion, if the shrubs or plantlife looked like they needed a boost, we would shoot them as well. Our company only did commercial and high end residential and this is an expensive application so i'd assume Philips home was pretty well maintained. I'm sure I've sprayed walls before without knowing it... As a matter of fact, I seem to recall actually washing some dirt off a wall once behind a flower bed when after planting. lol

I used to own a landscape co. in atlanta - In the spring, we would spray the annuals and perinials with liquid fertilizer (in addition to slow release granules). The liquid fert had a super high nitrogen and iron content. We could 'force' plants to take on beautiful green foliage in a matter of days. Great for new customers to make a high impact when we first started a job.

On occasion, if the shrubs or plantlife looked like they needed a boost, we would shoot them as well. Our company only did commercial and high end residential and this is an expensive application so i'd assume Philips home was pretty well maintained. I'm sure I've sprayed walls before without knowing it... As a matter of fact, I seem to recall actually washing some dirt off a wall once behind a flower bed when after planting. lol

Iron treatments was what I thought. That sounds like the bushes I saw. Too green, too perfect. And the stain volume was significant and the droplets large. If it was fertilizer, this wasn't a pump sprayer job.

Anyway, since you have landscape and "fast green" experience perhaps you can help with another problem I have. My labor failed to heed my repeated warnings about rinsing (and parking in the drive) and we have done some pretty ugly spotting/singing to a rose bush hedge and about 3ft dia of dead fescue from a chem spill. I've gotta call the HO back tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to give these bushes a shot in the arm?

Do I need to do something to prep the soil before I re-sod the grass? I am hoping that a healthy dose of liquid fertilizer will neutralize the bleach and restore the soil ph.

Yeah, we didn't use pump sprayers for liquid fert because we would use probably 50 gallons on a 5X10 flower bed. We used a 300 gallon truck mounted chem sprayer.

First, contact the Georgia Extension Service and tell them you need a soil sample tested. They'll tell you how to take a sample for roses. You send it to them for something like $5-$15 and they will tell you whats wrong with the soil and what you need to do to correct it. If we couldn't get a lawn in shape or green up some plants, there was usually some strange imbalance in the soil and they'll find it and tell you EXACTLY how to fix it and what to use. I think the mailing address was at GA Tech but this was 8 yrs ago so it may have changed. If you can't find the soil testers, call Malta (metro atlanta landscape and turf association) http://www.malta-inc.org/ they'll point you in the right direction.

For everyone else not in Georgia, most states have an Extension Service provided by the state for soil testing or you can call a local 4H for direction. They are always helpful.

Tell the homeowner that you're on top of this and you're overnighting a soil sample to the GA Extension Service to correct the issue properly since you're not a Horticulturist. They'll love you for that... Dead/Burnt foliage is useless. It will not green up again and only draws water and nutrients from the roots. Carefully prune off all the dead parts at the base of the intersections trying to leave a Y at the end of the branches (if it's still alive). Scissors work great on roses. Leave as many green Y's as possible. Roses are fickle. They react to ANYTHING out of the ordinary. People are attached to them like kids too which really stinks for you...

The sod portion is simple just cut out the dead sod, dig the contaminated soil out down to about 3 inches, replace the soil with a couple bags from home depot. Stop and ask to buy a few pieces of sod from a landscaper who's laying Fescue. Slap it down tight, compact it with your feet, and water the hell out of it. (should be watered everyday for 1-2 weeks).

Let me know if you need any other info...