Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

Replacing Wood

Question

Hi Folks,

I need to replace wood on a deck that I am cleaning and sealing with Ready Seal. What do I do about the new wood? Do I seal it with the old wood?

What do you deck restorers do when wood needs to be replaced?

If you remove and replace wood, how and what do you charge?

I've used a nail-puller made by Cresent. It did a pretty good job. But if you do something that is faster and easier, please tell me what you are doing.

TIA,

Bill

7 answers to this question

Bill, replace the wood first, then do your cleaning/stripping followed by brightening. This will help you to remove the mill glaze on the new wood. The new wood will not hold as much sealer/stain as the old wood. Also, make sure you defurr (if its Cedar).

reed

Thanks, Reed.

I see that you frame your services as Fence and Deck "CARE". I plan to offer Deck "RESTORATION", instead of PW. I'll be replacing wood. I would like to do extraordinary finishes also, like two-tone.

I want to be very good at this. Well, I like to be very good at anything that I do. I've built a good reputation painting which allows me to get more money. I'll do the same with decks.

Bill

I've used a nail-puller made by Cresent. It did a pretty good job.

So is using that nail puller get the old nails pretty fast and so so easy?

I'll mostly cut my board out with a saw zaw then pry the board up.It's not always so easy to remove!

Shane,

The nail puller is fairly easy. It is made by Cresent, the adjustable wrench people, $40. It does take time though. I have been considering other methods. One thought was to use a type of bar used on truck loading docks as a lever. It would work like a super strong claw hammer with a six foot handle. I'll wait to when I get a job to make the $90 investment.

Bill

Bill

My hardest thing to do is to remove the old board without damaging the surrounding boards.So by cutting the board in sections with the saw zaw and all you have are little sections to pull up rather than the whole board at once.

If the board isn't screwed down, it should pry up easily with leverage. So, you have a 12' board nailed to 8 joists, once you've removed the nails from half the joists it should pry up with leverage.

Jon,

That's how I get them up. Pull some nails, a little prying, a little pullin', some knocking wit da hammer, and its up. No damage to adjacent boards.

I just bought a little rental that has one of the crummiest, dirtiest decks I've ever seen. Gonna clean it with Extreme Solutions and coat it with Ready Seal. I should get some real good marketing pictures.

I'm kinda excited about the PW work. It's been a while since I've done anything but paint.

Bill