Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Interesting burn on plants.

Question

We have been at an townhome complex for two weeks now and Monday we got a call today complaining of burned plants. Apologized profusely, and went to take a look. I found something very odd that I hope someone can shed some light on.

The grass was yellowed pretty badly along one side of the building. The plants all along the base of the wall had some curled leaves as well. At first I thought classic bleach burn. BUT...

1. The degree of the burn would have required a ludicrous concentration of bleach. We run ~0.83% TTW and rinse prodigiously. This was similar to what a good misting of 6% might do.

2. The back side directly adjacent shows no damage to either the plants or grass. In fact, they look like a golf green/nursery. It is as if you pulled a string 45^ from the corner and flipped a coin. Heads burns, tails does not.

3. The tenderest flowers directly in the drip line took the least damage while the heartier bushes in that line and grass farther out (8-20ft) took the worst of it.

4. In the front, two townhomes share a front lawn. The one to the left of the property line (that owns the burned end side) has yellowing in the grass in front also. The one to the right (1cm to the right) is green and lush. Again, it's as if you pulled a string out from the property line. Same bucket of mix, same plants, same building, same grass. Inches apart, but very different outcomes.

If it weren't for the green hose marks where the hose shielded the grass, I'd argue it wasn't our issue. But based on that we obviuosly were involved.

My guesses:

1. The homeowner was using (or was having put on) some sort of fertilizer or pesticide and they reacted badly. Counter point: Why treat 2 of 3 sides with the same types of vegitation?

2. She mentioned that she had this one unit PW/painted 10 days ago and that guy did no damage (none of our people recalled seeing any). Could he have used something that left behind a chemical booby trap waiting to spring? (not on purpose obviously). Counter point: Did he not wash the back?

Of interest: One other building did this in about a 8ft section of a 50ft wall.

Other than that, 31 down all spotless, all damage free. Same crew, same mix, same process. Any ideas what happened here?

33 answers to this question

Sort of. One angry home owner calls tiny HOA board (only 63 members total, probably 2-4 on the board) and raises hell. HOA calls mgmt company and gives them grief. MC calls me and tells me to call her and make her happy. :(

All said and done, I'm not about to get a burr under her (MC rep's) saddle over $100-150 and lose potential future biz. This is complex #2 from the same MC in one year.

You're absolutely right,,,but in most cases......atleast around here, the board doesn't always listen to everything a homeowner has to say. What you're referring to is predominently only going to happen in communities where most are retirees and have nothing to do all day. They are the ones who tend to stick together.

Anyways...I think we're getting off topic here.

I have always been told not to water your grass during the day because you can cause it to burn. I do not know if this is true or not. Could that also be a cause? It kinda made sense to me because your skin burns more when you are in the water because of the magnifing effect. Could the same be true for grass if it is too short and you water it in direct sunlight?

Just trying to throw something else out there.

FYI

Of course, watering during the day isn’t a resource-wise practice. Much of the water is lost due to evaporation because of the heat of the day and because of the wind. Some belive that the water droplets magnify the suns light and can burn grass. simply not true .. just my 2¢

Day watering: Can speak to the facts about the grass, but I know it will cause spots on large leafs like hydrangea, etc.

I spoke with the HO again yesterday and asked her to send me a list of the plants that needed to be replaced in writing on my fax. I got it this morning. 23 plants and a note that she there were more she was still finding names for. In short, all of the plants. She also laid blame 100% on us and indicated that her garden needed to be restored to the condition it was in before we worked. She even dictated where the plants needed to be obtained from. Needless to say it wasn't pikes or home depot...

Since the homeowner is being ridiculous, I spoke with the management co and asked them to deal with the homeowner. The declined saying that they only facilitate locating and coordinating service contractors. Any issues between the contractor and a homeowner is just that. Between the homeowner and the contractor. Anyway, I explained that the homeowners unmoving stance, and asked her if she would act as the neutral 3rd party. She said that she would visit the property and give her input. I sent her the pics for reference, and got her reply "I see what you mean now. I'll be at the property next week."

I still not certain we were the only party that caused this. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I feel there is more to this story than meets the eye. But in any case, we were the party that "triggered" the event or at least had some involvement. And I'm not trying to get out scott free either. Some damage/loss is a part of doing business. But I am not replacing plants that have a little curling that will disappear in 2 weeks. And I certainly am not replacing plants that dropped their blooms but otherwise have no damage. I'm not joking about that. The HO's position is that they are no longer blooming and will not bloom again till next year. Granted, those blooms may have lasted a few more weeks and we prematurely terminated the bloom. But dig them up and replace them with blooming plants?!? No way in h _ _ l....

Anyway, you've seen the pics. Tell me what you would offer. And think about what you would expect if it was your home. After I get some ideas, I'll tell what I have in mind. I don't want to say now and prejudice the opinions.

Philip,

Given the same circumstances I would take insane amounts of notes and photos (as you have already done) , Record EVERY phone call, and have a recorder going in my pocket during EVERY face to face meeting.

Recording conversations wherein only one party knows of the recording is fully legal within the boundaries of Ga. and a method I have used in dealing with disputes in other careers over the years. It can be very ......helpful ..... when other interested parties have memory lapses later on. ;)

Further, I would politely, but unwaveringly, stand on my demand for the HO, the MC, myself, and an independent examiner/arbitor.

Technically all she has is a claim that her plants were fine before you arrived and dead when you left. Considering that there have been no issues with other properties in the area, and that your methods are consistent, and that the method you used on her house is identical to the methods used on the other houses, there should be no disputing the fact that you were not solely responsible for the damage to her property, unless every other property had something special done to their property to prevent whatever you did from damaging it. You will have to verify the premises as being true, but it should be an easy syllogism to propose to her (modus tollens or modus ponens, I believe) and for her to accept, providing she can follow logically constructed arguments. If she can't, that's when you need the recorder so you can capture her incorrigibility for all to hear should she decide to take you to small claims court over the issue.

Technically all she has is a claim that her plants were fine before you arrived and dead when you left. Considering that there have been no issues with other properties in the area, and that your methods are consistent, and that the method you used on her house is identical to the methods used on the other houses

EXCELLENT POINT !! the key being the terms "your methods being consistant" on each property...... also, the laundry list of her overpriced plants, see if the other properties you serviced there have any of the same type plants as she has... that could go a long way in your arguement.... good luck :cool:

I'm a garden freak myself, so I can understand her IF she is legitimate. My feeling is that she's shooting for a freebie.

I'm very suprised at the MC take on only facilitating contractors but never the less happy that they have agreed to visit the site and understand the problems you're facing based on the pictures.

I'm interested in what they have to say after the site visit. Make sure that you are there!

As for the plants that have some curled or browned leaves.........go out at night and clip them with garden scissors. This way only the healthy leaves remain and she no longer has a claim against those plants. Besides, everybody knows the pruning a plant promotes new growth.

I can tell that you are willing to take responsibility for your actions but at the same time you're standing your ground.

Good job!

ps - as Cujo mentioned, take an infinate amount of notes and make sure that everything you do has a paper trail. Your pictures, your arguements against her, your final decisions, her requests etc.

In the event that you decide to partially replace flowers or not at all, it is quite possible that she may drag you to small claims court. In this case you will be prepared.

Correspondence through email is an excellent way of storing papertrails.