Sign in to follow this  
JeffW

cedar siding?

Question

I have a customer who called about sealing a cedar sided house.I typically don't do sealing and told him I would help with finding out a little info.It is two years old and very clean. Question: How much square footage will one gallon of sealer cover.This siding is a little rough.I know I could read the can but I wanted real advice from people who do it day to day,and also because it is rough.Thank you very much for any responses.I will have the total squre footage tommorow when I go out and measure for them.Thanks!

3 answers to this question

I have a customer who called about sealing a cedar sided house.I typically don't do sealing and told him I would help with finding out a little info.It is two years old and very clean. Question: How much square footage will one gallon of sealer cover.This siding is a little rough.I know I could read the can but I wanted real advice from people who do it day to day,and also because it is rough.Thank you very much for any responses.I will have the total squre footage tommorow when I go out and measure for them.Thanks!

Jeff,

It has a lot to do with what type of sealer you use oil base,water base,semi trans,solid,etc.

Like for instance the Baker's Gray Away "semi trans oil base" I use i will get on rough cedar anywhere from 150-250 sqft per gallon.That is also 2 coats wet on wet.The age of the wood also comes into play the older and drier it is it will soak it up.

Hope some of this info helps:cool:

Shane, thanks it definetly helped, and I will post more details tommorow about product,square footage etc.. Thank you for the input!! I just received the call today and wanted to get the ball rolling before I went out.Thanks again! I'll post some pictures if I can figure out how.