Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Lowe

Equipment

Question

5 answers to this question

Is the pump on your pw a direct drive, gear drive or is it belt driven? You might not need an in-line pump to assist flow to the machine depending on how your rig is set up. I think most use in-line filters, we do. We need more details.

Man save yourself alot of touble by puting a filter on right away, I wish I did when I started, but I guess I learn how to clean my valves out and change the unloaders too!!! I came across a nifty lil filter that I been using on my machine and it works great its just a lil brass filter that the filter screw into the side at 45* angle. When I first started I didn't use any but then I went to using a small filter that has the glass or plastic bowl on the bottom. It dont have to big but just enough to catch that grit going thru there!! It will save you a pile of trouble!!!

What kind of pump should I use from my tank to my PW and does anybody put a water filter inline. If so what kind.

It is unlikely that you will need such a pump. If you do, it will need to be rated higher than your pump volume and either flow actuated or unloaded back into the tank. In either case, this introduces one more opportunity to fail.

It is a common misconception that the tank outlet needs to be higher than the pump inlet to draw. As long as the water level in the tank is higher then the pump inlet you will draw just the same provided you purge the line of air. One caveat of this setup is that you will have an unuseable "dead" section of flooded tank between the pump inlet and the tank bottom. Actually that dead space will be the between the pumps maximum lift (measured from inlet down) and the tank bottom. But to err on the side of caution, assume that the max lift = 0.

In this situation, I recommend that you feed your supply line into the same pipe (let's call it a "supply buss") that runs from the tank to the pump and pump a ball valve in between the supply and the tank. This will allow you to bottom feed the tank and/or run off line pressure as neccesary. By completely closing the valve you run off line pressure only. By partially closing the ball value, you can fill the tank (albiet slower) and maintain positive pressure at the pump head. A cleaner approach is to put a low pressure check value (ball & cage type) between the tank and the supply buss (opening into the buss) and a normal check value from the buss to the tank top (facing the tank top). This will keep your pump head at supply line pressure while allowing any "overage" water to pipe into the tank. If the supply is difficient, the tank will flow into the pump head. Note that neither of these arrangements will eliminate the dead space mentioned earlier.

Philip