Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Chiplock

Pump Rebuild ?

I run with the local fire department and we have been having problems with our 110v 3.0gpm 1500 psi belt driven washer. The pump needs rebuild due to high rust in our well water and a filter not doing its job. We took the pump to a local company and they want $491.00 total for the rebuild. Its $750 for a new pump. Does this seem right for the rebuild to be so high? Is it something I can do myself with just a standard rebuild kit. Not sure how much damage occured from the rust but the machine still operated, just not at full pressure. Thanks for any help.

Depending on the brand of the pump, most rebuild(repack) kits are less than $100.00 and the valve assemblies are about the same. Both of those prices seem high but it depends on what they do in a rebuild, but I am fairly certain you could replace the pump for less than the rebuild price.

Jonathan, exactly what sympos does the pump have?

Are your hoses pulsating? Are you not getting a constant flow of water at the end of your hose?

Just out of curiousity what make and model is the pump?

Jonathan if you don't know what make and model then take a look at it!!!

If the only problem you're having is a pulsating hose then just order a new packing kit and valve kit for the pump. Call the manuf. and they will send you a diagram on how to remove the above (not a very difficult thing to do) and replace the parts.

BAM! Within 45minutes, and apprx $200, you've got a working pump.

Good Luck

ps: for the first time it will probably take you an hour and half to do the job.

pps: If you are running very hard water (which I'm assuming from your post) then I'd certainly pay someone to have the pump and your hoses descaled. But if you do this make sure you do it before you replace the packing and valve kits.