Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Sullivan

Environmental Help

Question

i don't know if i have posted here before, but here we go...

i have a customer who has a deck that is over a spring-fed pond and another over a creek. my question is this...he is extremely anal about anything getting in the water besides "soap." (his words not mine) i am not sure if i can get away with a pre-carb, but i feel pretty confident. he said it was sealed with a 'clear coat' about 5 years ago.

what can i use to safely prep these decks? i would use tarps to reroute the water, but there is no way to do it.

and question two...what kind of stain should i use? the customer said it is made of redwood. this is my first redwood deck and i am not sure what to use on it for stain. i typically use ready seal and i believe i heard/read that it does not do well on redwood.

thanks for your help in advance.

5 answers to this question

There is a "redwood" formula for Ready Seal that works fine for redwood. Using an oil over a waterway where the oil could drip or be spilled is not a good idea, however. I suggest using a water-borne product, such as an acryllic. If anything is spilled in the water, it will simply dissipate. If you want to talk about the challenges here, please call us.

Pete,

I respectfully disagree. Just because a waterborne product is miscable, doesn't mean that it is any better for the wildlife. Stain in the lungs (fish/gills) is far worse than stain on one's skin. For that reason, one could probably make good argument that the surface oil being turned into a colloidon and being deposited ashore is far better than dissolving it into the body of water.

If boats are not an issue, consider oil absorbent booms and a floating containment ring. Capture the excess oil and deposit it into the trash where it can be dealt with more appropriately.

As for not being able to tarp it for the wash, that's just a matter of ingenuity. A few empty drums, some 2x4's, rope, and a big tarp and you have a floating retention pond. Drip into it and push it onshore with a submersible pump. That said, I'd be FAR less concerned with percarb that I would with the stain. The difference in total chemical mass, toxicity levels, and 1/2 life of 2-3# of percarb and that of 100# of stain is significant.

I would spend some time educating your customer about the ill effects of "soap" on marine eco-systems, the need to employ a more sophisticated containment system, and how important it is to choose a contractor based on skill and not on price.

Aaron--

....Are you "Alpine"?? When I lived in TN, I saw your guys out a lot. The did the windows near my apt., strip mall in Cool Springs across from Carrabba's. FWIW, I think you are in the best untapped deck market in the country.

Regarding the question, is sanding an option?? If not, how about just "water blasting" the wood, and buffing afterwards?? It's not just the chem getting into the water, you've also gotta think about whatever it is taking off is going to go there too. I'd just use water. And since it is Redwood, I'd brighten with Citric Acid (Harcros Chem. on Murf. Rd.). Show customer MSDS, citric is a food-grade product.

Could you apply stain by hand?? That would make your preferred-stain situation a moot argument. The "Redwood Only" ReadySeal in Light Brown looks beautiful on Redwood. If you ever want any referrals or some of my past customer names, shoot me an email.

Aaron--

....Are you "Alpine"?? When I lived in TN, I saw your guys out a lot. The did the windows near my apt., strip mall in Cool Springs across from Carrabba's. FWIW, I think you are in the best untapped deck market in the country.

Regarding the question, is sanding an option?? If not, how about just "water blasting" the wood, and buffing afterwards?? It's not just the chem getting into the water, you've also gotta think about whatever it is taking off is going to go there too. I'd just use water. And since it is Redwood, I'd brighten with Citric Acid (Harcros Chem. on Murf. Rd.). Show customer MSDS, citric is a food-grade product.

Could you apply stain by hand?? That would make your preferred-stain situation a moot argument. The "Redwood Only" ReadySeal in Light Brown looks beautiful on Redwood. If you ever want any referrals or some of my past customer names, shoot me an email.

I TRIED TO SEND YOU AN EMAIL, JOHN, BUT IT SENT IT BACK TO ME UNDELIVERABLE. HOW CAN I EMAIL YOU?

AND YES, ALPINE IS US!