Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

De-Winterize

I drained all the water from my pressure washer pump last year before I put it up for the winter and had it in a building where it could not freeze. The other day when I turned on the supply water to it, water leaked out of the pump like crazy. I pulled the pump down and looked at all the seals and o-rings, but nothing really looked worn. I coated all the seals and o-rings in silicone and re-assembled the pump and now it does not leak.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and would it be better to keep the pump wet with a antifreeze solution over the winter to keep the seals from drying out?

I guess I could pull the pump down and silicone the seals for the winter, but is this overkill?

Thanks, John :)

would it be better to keep the pump wet with a antifreeze solution over the winter to keep the seals from drying out?

Yes.

I always run R/V antifreeze thru mine after removing the water.

If you used air pressure to blow the water out for winterization, that alone is not enough to prevent freeze ups. There will still be some water left inside. That is why you'd want to instill the antifreeze to displace any remaining water.

But it was leaking due to dryout right? You said the machine was left in a heated area all winter? I have had the problem Tony C was referring to. I blew the water out and ran antifreeze through the pump but didn't turn the pump over a couple of times. It stayed out in some extreme conditions, and when I tried to run it again the pump leaked. When I opened the pump it was always a cracked plunger(happened twice). When the plunger cracked, it would let the packing move freely over it. It hard to tell when they are broke by looking at them, its easier when you see a packing thats stuck.

John,

I have a appointment Monday at Pressure Works in Richmond to have the unit tuned up, oil changes( pump & motor), filter and have a new injector put on.

I don't work on my equiptment and they seem to do a good job.

Phil

Thanks for the replys, I washed a couple of houses today and the pump seems to be doing just fine, with no leaks. I guess I dodged a bullet this time, and will make sure I winterize it differently next time. I have seen there is a solution for winterizing with some lubricants also in it.

Thanks again, John