Sign in to follow this  
JFife

changing out pump

....I've never changed out a pump before, and started messing with it today. My machine is a HomeDepot special, 4@3500 Direct Drive. This has been such a good back-up machine for me, but it now needs a pump (after 5-6yrs!). I got it from Russ, but I doubt he is in the shop on the weekend, and I need to change it asap.

...So the pump bolts to the engine with four bolts. Took them off. Pump now swivels on the drive, but won't slide off. It almost seems like you should keyhole something to make it pop off. If it matters, the pump is AR. This must be easy, as the pump didn't come with directions, LOL:) Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I'd like to get it fixed this weekend if at all possible. TIA

You may never get it off. I have an $800 pump that I never took off of an engine. The shaft has rusted itself to the drive on the pump. I learned to take them off occasionally and grease them up. It still burns me and I have tried spraying it with every known lube to man over the last 2 years and it is still very stuck. I even tried prying with a crow bar.

Don't give up it may just come off someday.

Jon, just replace the keyway. If I remember correctly it's just a standard 1/4". Take old pieces to HD or Lowes and match one up.

And when you put it back together, a little anti-seize compound helps a whole lot for the next go around.

And while I'm thinking of it, it's a good idea to put a little anti-seize compound on the sparkplug threads, to make sure the plug doesn't become a bugger to remove.

Oh, and if there was a set screw, put a dab of thread lock on it. Use the light duty stuff, cause the heavy duty thread lock is too strong for allen wrenches.

LOL, I have no idea what you are talking about Tony! But I'll go to HD and try and sound like a mechanic and bark at someone to go and get me some "anti-seize"....and some in LIGHT DUTY!! And some Thread Lock!!

Thanks for the help!! I'm ready to get this guy back running, I know you are like me, you like those HD specials!! Glad to see are doing well T, haven't seen you on the boards much lately,