Sign in to follow this  
djcs0302

A Little Help Please

Question

I am just starting my pressure washing business, and ran into one problem. Everyone I talk to has told me that when pulling water from my 250 gal tank. gravity fed would be all I need. No pump would be needed. Well I hooked a small hose to the tank and pressure washer, and made sure the washer was sitting below the tank. NOTHING. Will gravity feed always work or will I need a pump. Is there something that I am not doing right. Any help is appreciated.

1 answer to this question

Most belt drive pumps are spec'd to lift 18-36 inches. At <=0" you should have NO problem. Both my machines are at 6-10" of lift no problem.

Triple check for air leaks and garbage in your lines/trash filter. My 4gpm machine looses suction when the filter gets trashy. In some cases you may need to clear the line of air to get things rolling. Put a QC at the pump and disco the hose until it runs clear of air. Then connect and pump away.

One last thing. Don't overlook bottom feeding. Use the same line to feed your pump and fill the tank from the bottom. This will ensure that the pump feed has a slightly positive pressure.