Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

What is this stuff?

Question

A friend of mine is letting me experiment on his deck. The sample picture is what the wood is covered with (he doesn't know what it is, put on by previous owner). On the clean side I started with a 1:3 ratio of Delco's DSR-50 stripper for 20 minutes, rinsed. It took off a little bit of the top layer. I then went to a 1:1 ratio for another twenty, rinsed..seemed to do a little better. I finally went full strength for 40 minutes, rinsed, applied oxalic for ten minutes and this is what I got. Can anyone tell by the pictures what this stuff is? The wood was still damp when I took the pic. and it did brighten up a bit more. DSR-50 is a Sodium Hydroxide based stripper.

post-1269-137772154126_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

A friend of mine is letting me experiment on his deck. The sample picture is what the wood is covered with (he doesn't know what it is, put on by previous owner). On the clean side I started with a 1:3 ratio of Delco's DSR-50 stripper for 20 minutes, rinsed. It took off a little bit of the top layer. I then went to a 1:1 ratio for another twenty, rinsed..seemed to do a little better. I finally went full strength for 40 minutes, rinsed, applied oxalic for ten minutes and this is what I got. Can anyone tell by the pictures what this stuff is? The wood was still damp when I took the pic. and it did brighten up a bit more. DSR-50 is a Sodium Hydroxide based stripper.
id try hd-80 and it will probally take it of .kinda looks ike a redwood hd

My guess is that Behr acrylic stuff...I've see that similar color tone on a deck i stripped.

Most homeowner projects they stain themselves they will buy Behr from the Depot cause they think it will last 5 yrs like it says on the can! :rolleyes: