Sign in to follow this  
David O'Connell Jr.

Paint Prep

Question

7 answers to this question

I am a painter. First and foremost, when you pressure wash - this isn't the typical cleaning the house routine. That's fine for people that want their house cleaned on a yearly basis - which is most of the work out there. For paint prep - you want to use that pressure washer to lift paint off the side of the house, this means 15 degree tip - lots of pressure! Seriously painters are useing the pressure washer as a means to reduce actual scraping. You'll also want to use a different soap mix - most guys here use a mix to kill mildew with bleach and detergents to clean the house. For paint prep - you'll want to degloss the existing paint to give it a 'profile' for the new paint to cling to - this means TSP! and loads of it - so TSP/bleach - and high pressure to knock off the loose paint. Either using an extension pole to get up to high places - or just climbing ladders like we painters do - we have to climb ladders all the times anyway - so it's no big deal to pressure wash off ladders for us.

-Dan

hmm..... TSP and plants. that is sure a bad mix. I have a 4000 psi machine at 6 + gallons/minute and I use a 40 tip. It rips the paint off. I wonder what a 15 will do. I'm not big on the TSP, most houses in my area are loaded with plants and flowers, that of course are right on the house.

Actually with a machine that big - stick with the 40 tip, or maybe try a 25.

TSP is basically a fertilizer as far as the plants are concerned. I always tend to pressure wash on rainy days - so I hit areas with bleach, lye, tsp - it doesn't matter, never had any plants dying on me.

-Dan

What type of surface are you preping for paint?

Wood siding, stucco??

Not a big fan of TSP myself. There are some deglossing chemicals available, but i have not used them.

Not in my opinion... Depends on how big the house is. I have spent more than a few days preping a house (but not Stucco), it was really poor condition german siding.

True stucco, if in good condition can go pretty well