Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Washing windows?

Question

Hey folks,

My mailman just came by, and it turns out that his condo association doesn't clean windows. He is on the third floor, and he has the type of windows that he can't clean from the inside unlike the next building over where they have new windows. So I figured, get a ladder, ammonia based window cleaner, rag - and then go to work. Then I thought - perhaps there was a more efficient way of cleaning windows with the pressure washer and downstreaming with a different set of chemicals. Any thoughts?

-Dan

5 answers to this question

I just ordered Shimmer from sunbrite. I called and was told that you can x jet it on and rinse off and it works great. I should have it in a few days and when I try it out I will be sure to let you know what I think. It is cheap to. $12 a gallon which dilutes to make 10 gallons.

Has anyone used shimmer or any other similar product. If so, what do you think. Does is work Do people go for adding this on as an extra.

If you want to dazzle your customer and shame your competition get a waterfed pole with a pure water system but don't just rely on this. If the windows have never been professionally cleaned then you need to get up personal with the window first. There are no short-cut to perfection. Yes, many short-cuts to mediocrity but that will kill your business in the end. I will list one of the procedures I use to shine my customers windows:

Note: The following is a procedure that will include owning and knowing how to use a Waterfed pole system.

1. After I have powerwashed the home making sure all of the screens are removed, I will climb to the window then I will scrub the window with a strip-washer. Then scrap the window with a 6" window cleaning blade ( If Needed). If there is nothinig to remove with the blade then use #0000 steel wool to scrub off any dirt residue ( all while the window is soapy wet). Then have your help or you waterfed clean the window. the customer will be yours for life..This you can do as a perk or for a charge that you will determine.

I can do one of these windows in under a minute, working by myself. If I have help then of course the time is cut way down. The windows will shine!!!!!!

Important: do not let the window dry before you scrub and rinse with waterfed brush! Rinse well and make sure your Waterfed system has sufficient water pressure.

I hope this is of some help

Ken

post-6267-137772314768_thumb.jpg

Here are my mixed bed resin tanks. They give me all the pure water I need to clean windows and often times not even climb a ladder.