Sign in to follow this  
aloha pc

Oil Stains

Question

Looked at a very nice job today, black roof, will turn out great but she has oil stains in the drive way. I have heard hot water machines wiil take them out but I have a cold water unit. Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

The very best way, I have found, to remove oil stains is with kitty litter - the cheap stuff. You can use oil dry if you like, its the same thing (clay) just more expensive. Apply a layer on the spot, then grind it in with your shoe, until it is reduced to a talcum powder-like consistency. Sweep it up and repeat. This should remove the stain completely.

The principal is that clay absorbs oil, but oil gets in the pores of the concrete and by pulverizing the clay, it gets down into the pores and sucks the oil out.

John

P.S. The concrete/oil stain must be dry.

Looked at a very nice job today, black roof, will turn out great but she has oil stains in the drive way. I have heard hot water machines wiil take them out but I have a cold water unit. Any ideas?

get a hotbox :) You can try some sodium hydroxide, but without hot water I'm not sure that it will remove anything, just kinda spread it around. Try what John said if it's wet. I use it on roofs all the time, just like he said and it does work great.