Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

Nashville road trip

Question

Well, my wife didn’t get Tim’s autograph and I didn’t get any alone time with Faith, but we did get to do something pretty darn cool this past weekend in Nashville. A buddy of mine works for a song publishing company that represents two of the top song writers in Nashville. Neil Thrasher and Wendell Mobley. Saturday night we were invited to a small very intimate like maybe 60 people outdoor songwriters “In The Round” they call it. So cool. It was outside under the stars up on a mountain at Vanderbilt’s Dyer Observatory. Three guys with acoustic guitars up singing their favorite songs. This was a real treat, even in Nashville standards. Neil and Wendell write for Rascal Flatts, Chesney, Reba, Alabama, Diamond Rio.

It was a cool thing to listen to them sing Fast Cars and Freedom, I Melt, How Forever Feels, There Goes My Life, No Shoes No Shirt, What Do You Say….it goes on. Cool to know we weren’t listening to guys cover these songs that we associate with the artists, but as the original writers wrote them. There are a handful of writers that write the bulk of the new songs on the country charts today. If a song gets picked up and ‘cut’ by an artist, like I Melt sung by Rascal Flatts, and it stays on the top of the charts or hits number one, these writer dudes get serious payday. Neil is this mid-30 singer, songwriter, big bowhunter, and outdoorsman. What a cool gig. Big money without the mess that comes with stardom and celebrity.

Other than that, it was hot as hell and I wasn’t too impressed with the Wild Horse Saloon. We did have the best time dancing and drinking PBR’s at 10am Sat at Robert’s Honkytonk downtown.

Busy this week getting my wife set up and writing country music songs!

/neil

2 answers to this question

Hey Neil,

...Yeah, Wildhorse is crap. Is your wife a writer? Biiiiig money if the songs hit. Find a place called "Bluebird Cafe" in Green Hills, that is a place to be discovered as a writer. Always having writers nights, good place to rub elbows.

Hey Man. You know it was the CMA Festival this weekend, so we knew what we were getting into. For our first Nashville visit, wrong weekend to do it. We saw some good acts but the crowds downtown were thick and hotel rates were ridiculous.

The observatory show was actually a Bluebird Cafe event. Next trip over we'll definately do a Sun/Mon writers night at the Cafe. The publishing company that I have contacts with 'found' Garth Brooks and has rights to all his songs. Garth has made this company founder quite wealthy. Reagan is an incredible singer and writer. It's time to take it from a hobby to a living.

I want one day to be able to ask her if I can go out and buy a new truck! Sure, honey...but nothing under $45K, ok?

later Jon.

/neil