Sign in to follow this  
hawk

formulas

Question

Can some of you math wiz kids give me formulas. Example, psi/gpm with different tips. I've also seen tips like 25025, I know what my zero is (it's a bad motha (shut cho mouth) but need to know other numbers also. What about hose length,:lgangry: do I lose heat the longer I have my hose. I'm about to invest in a surface cleaner and I believe that the size of the tips need to equal the gpm's I put out, is this correct, or can you change the psi with the tip. I have a 3000/4gpm hotzy, if that matters. Am I at 3000 psi with the zero, see my point. I was told by the dealer. that I shouldn't mess with the psi control on my machine (right-wrong) I are edumacated, so bring it on.

Hank

Thanks for all ya'll do.

6 answers to this question

Thanks Larry,

I'm still not up to speed, I see on the chart that if I double my Nozzle size my third number doubles also. What is the third number in reference to.

Hank

I am not sure what you mean by third number.

Look at the desired psi at top and follow it down until you see the number that matches your gpm best without going over. Follow that row to the left column to see the correct nozzle size required to achieve the psi.

Hope thaat helps a bit.

Can some of you math wiz kids give me formulas. Example, psi/gpm with different tips. I've also seen tips like 25025, I know what my zero is (it's a bad motha (shut cho mouth) but need to know other numbers also. What about hose length,:lgangry: do I lose heat the longer I have my hose. I'm about to invest in a surface cleaner and I believe that the size of the tips need to equal the gpm's I put out, is this correct, or can you change the psi with the tip. I have a 3000/4gpm hotzy, if that matters. Am I at 3000 psi with the zero, see my point. I was told by the dealer. that I shouldn't mess with the psi control on my machine (right-wrong) I are edumacated, so bring it on.

Hank

Thanks for all ya'll do.

Hi Hank,

It's simple once you know specifically what each # and # location stands for. The #25025 that you mention is a 25 degree spray pattern at 2.5 gpm. The first two #'s are the spray pattern width. The next three #'s are reserved for gpm size. The '0' in the sequence is just a space marker, meaning the tip size is 02.5 gpm. This is because there are tip sizes that go higher than 10 gpm. For example, if you had a #4025 you would have a 40 degree spray pattern at approximately 25 gpm. You're not going to get 25 gpm because your pump and motor aren't rated for that kind of gpm. A nozzle that size would simply drop your psi way down. This is where your nozzle chart can help too.

Your 0 degree tip isn't the reason you get your rated psi for your machine. The orifice size dictates that. As you obviously know now, the 0 degree tip just allows you to have the wicked straight line shot that you get.

Hopefully this has helped. If not, let us know and we'll take another shot at it.

Don

Don,

So with my standard tips, I would have 0040, 15040, 25040, 40040. All at 3000 psi. If that is right, if I use a 15055 (15 degree at 5.5 gpm) that drops my psi since my machine only pushes 4gpm. The 055 being the nozzle size.

Larry,

Sorry about being fague, the third number is under my psi, 1st being nozzle size then orifice. To get to 1000 psi I need a nozzle at 8 w/orifice at 0.072.

Don,

So with my standard tips, I would have 0040, 15040, 25040, 40040. All at 3000 psi. If that is right, if I use a 15055 (15 degree at 5.5 gpm) that drops my psi since my machine only pushes 4gpm. The 055 being the nozzle size.

That's correct......The #055 is your orifice size on the nozzle. If you buy a surface cleaner with a 2 nozzle spinner bar, you would normally want a #2502 tip on each end of the bar to equal 4 gpm. With a 3 nozzle spinner bar the three nozzles combined should equal (or near) your 4 gpm total. Obviously due to the 3 nozzles and the gpm of the machine, it won't always be possible to hit right on the exact gpm of 4 or whatever the case may be, but you can always get close.