Sign in to follow this  
Wallydog

Gutter Cleaning

Question

Hello all. I was considering trying my hand at gutter cleaning. Need some advice, first some thoughts if i may, Rates of pay here in Oz for power washing seem quite a bit less. We get $50 - 75 an hour max. Just reading some other posts its not seen as a profession but as a form of unskilled cleaning here. Probably seen as the same pay as a person who mows a lawn. Trouble is our equipment is worth far more and should be remunerated more i would think.

That aside the point of the post is ask what is the prefered methods of gutter cleaning. Do I need to get a ext wand and a gutter elbow piece and use the washer or do i get up on a ladder and scoop it out the traditional time honoured way. If I use the washer wouln't it just splatter mud and debris on and off the roof edges? That would make for more cleanup time?

Yours in pressure Wdog.

2 answers to this question

G'day Wally (or should that be Wally's master...)

I clean gutters as part of my ALL EXTERIOR CLEANING business - hadn't intended to when I started, but people kept asking me to....

Some days it's easy money... and other days... my record is 7 1/2 hours to remove leaves etc from gutters, they were full and piling back up the roof, it was all wet & decomposing, with plants growing in the gutters.

But, back to your question,

You need - waterproof/cut resistant gloves; a scoop that will fit inside the gutter; a scraper and a brush (all available from Bunnings); also need a garden blower (get a Stihl as they have the best warrantee for commercial use, but can be hired for first few times); have access to a safety harness etc (usually called a "roofers kit"); you may also need a large bucket and/or (stock feed) sack to put the rubbish in if you have to scrape it out by hand and the owner doesn't want you to throw it over the edge (because of gardens, or may be it is very wet and muddy).

If it's dry - get on the roof and blow it out with a blower, there may be sticks in there which need to be removed by hand.

If it is wet - get on the roof (though some prefer to use a ladder, just don't try and reach too far) and use hand in glove, scoop and scraper. Either dump over edge for clean up later (my preference) or place in bucket or bag. The water and mud that is in the gutters will make a mess on edge of roof and face of gutter, so you will need the hose/broom to clean this.

There are many types of "gutter guard" available, while owners hope that they are no maintenance the best are "regular maintenance" and the worst are "worse than useless" as they trap leaves in the gutters and/or need to be removed to clean the gutters. Find out what types are used down your way so that you can explain to owners what is needed and why it is going to take so long/cost so much.

There have been a couple of jobs recently where I've had to pass as the roof was too high/steep or no safe harness tie off points. I don't like just leaving people in the lurch, and I want them to remember me as someone who knows his stuff and is helpful, so I directed them to a company called "gutter vac", they specialize in gutter cleaning with an enormous (truck mounted) vacuum cleaner. I don't worry about giving jobs away as it's a job I can't do and gutter vac is expensive for the jobs I can do, and I still get to clean the rest of the house, as well as be remembered for solving the owners problem.

Gotta go, time to cook pancakes for breakfast...

John