Sign in to follow this  
Don M.

Doing things right

I need some advice...

As a fairly new company and the need to hire someone part time this fall, I need to know how to go about things.

I have talked with my tax person and she if filing the paperwork to form my company into a LLC. But my main concern is this whole workmans comp thing. I just dont see how a new company can pay all of this.

The tax/unemployment/social security is not bad I dont think. It is only about 12.00 per 100.00 in payroll. I could swing that.

Another business owner that I talked to suggested that I dont go the workman comp way, but instead just go with a health insurance plan. He has his employees pay 1/4 of the premium and he pays the other 3/4. But thats going to be tough because we are so seasonal.

I have also read on here that some people go to temp agencies and run through them. Do you just approach these agencies and tell them what you want to do? I looked at hiring some temp guys but they wont let them climb, and I need a climber for roof cleaning.

Any thoughts....

Thanks

Don M,

I would suggest a payroll service.Rates here in NY are reasonable.So unless your in Ca.,it should be comprable.Temp agency's are full of crackheads,and slackers for the most part,although there are jewels to be found there.Workers comp is a curse upon our country.Foisted upon us by the f****** communist union culture,that invaded our great nation,by the miscreant F.D.R.TRAITOR.L.O.L

If you can find a person on your own that you want to hire you can then send him to the temp agency and they will discount you because you sent that person to them. Verify with the temp agency that they do this. The temp agency that I deal with does this for a great discount. You get a guy that you have picked out and the temp agency does all the paperwork and payroll.

Don,

Health insurance won't protect you from your liability should a worker be injured while during "the course and scope" of his employment. He can still come after you.

Having said that, you aren't required to provide WC here unless you have more than two full time employees (last I knew). I owned a bar with a full-time manager, and part-time help, and didn't carry it. It's a roll of the dice.

Worse comes to worse, I'd at least check into AFLAC accidental injury insurance. If you can at least take care of your employees in some respect, they are much less likely to go to a lawyer to what they can take you for. They rate the plan by occupation, so I can't say what your workers premiums would be, but I pay about $17 a month.

...It's official, DonL is my new favorite "poster"!:)

DonM, in MO you have to have WC no matter how many emps you have, so that route means nothing. If you cannot afford it, just keep you biz low on value (lease equipment, payments, no cash, etc) and make sure your worker(s) know this so they don't get the idea that a smashed finger might net them 50K or so. Making a big claim and taking your biz from you will get them nothing but a bunch of debt.