Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

Gorgeous mountain deck

Question

This was such a fun project we did in July. Learned a huge amount on this one. Deck was 'restored' last year. Homeowner's power washed it for three days. They hired two 'hillbilly's' for $800 to apply 10 gallons of Valspar Severe Weather acrylic. Within 8 months had failed on 85% of horizontals. Black mildew and mold growth all over. Looked awful for such a beautiful deck and setting. The sunken hot tub is surrounded by 2x8 ipe.

Total sqft of wood restored was 2,200. Two days to strip and neutralize. Deck sat for a week, then one day to mask, detail and stain. I was very fortunate to have Carolina ProWash with me on the staining of this one. Timing worked out such that they were in town with their wood rig and had a day to play. Roger, John, and myself kicked A and took staining names on this one! Celeste pampered the ipe and that came out just gorgeous. HD-80 full strength boosted with prop. glycol (prestone lo-tox) 20 min dwell 800 psi rinse.

Stained with WoodTux Wet, custom tinted and thinned with spirits for a 'natural' light wood look that homeowners wanted. Cool thing too is they got married on this deck the following weekend. They were just thrilled with the outcome. 'Nuther good pay day.

Finished pics are one week after staining and wet with rain. Thanks again Roger and Celeste!

/neil

post-1223-137772161873_thumb.jpg

post-1223-137772161883_thumb.jpg

post-1223-13777216189_thumb.jpg

26 answers to this question

Very nice!!! Hey where do you get that boost for the stripper? My first two

deck jobs this year took two times stripping with hd-80 full strength. However

I do like it better than the SH jelly I was using before.

Todd