Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

Cool Crete/Kool Deck Sealing.

Question

Does anyone have experience with sealing Cool Crete or Kool Deck?

Will using a penetrating sealer on it defeat its heat dissipating characteristics? Are there other negative affects?

I have a couple calls into the mfgs. but they're slow returning calls and the weekend is upon us.

Thanks for all help on this one!

4 answers to this question

I have been offering this service for the last 2 years now. You can use the waterborne sealers which can come in most any color or, go the route I have now chosen which is to use a silicone acrylic sealer from H&C. The water based is thinner and easier to cleanup when working with but is not as durable.The silicone(with xylene) has better millage(thickness) dries faster and is much more durable, but must be cleaned up with xylol to remove any mess.The waterborne can be cleaned up with alcohol. I do a fair amount of work for painters and this is what they have taught me. The H&C products only come in their standard colors that cannot be died other than mixing 2 colors of H&C together.If there is an existing waterborne sealer down, you can use a primer over that first before applying your 2 coats of product.These are what are used and will not effect the temperature of the deck.

Good Luck!

Ken you are going to the wrong paint store. i purchase h&c at sherwin williams and they have it in a tint-base and can tint it to any color. yes the acrylic silicone version.

Paul I would recommend the same product because you don't know what was previously on the surface. if the existing color sealer has silicone in it nothing else will stick to it. I renovate a few pools every year by removing failing cool deck and then recoating. when i recoat i us Multicoat which is a superior water based color sealer.

"Ken you are going to the wrong paint store. i purchase h&c at sherwin williams and they have it in a tint-base and can tint it to any color. yes the acrylic silicone version."

Thanks for the heads up on that Jim. I guess the one painter told me this doesn't bother to go the extra step in offering different colors.I guess he likes to redo white only.Huh, go figure...

This is good news because a new Sherwin Williams store opened up close to my new house here.Thanks!

I don't believe Multicoat provides the same characteristics as Cool Crete or Kool Deck.

The Cool Crete surface I am dealing with is not failing. I was just wondering if it should be sealed to give it longer life?

Does it already contain a sealer?

If it is sealed with a penetrating sealer such as V-Seal 101, will it no longer function as intended - a cool concrete like surface (a surface that does not get hot from the sun).

I believe a film type sealer would alter Cool Crete's ability to stay cool.