Sign in to follow this  
twlinks

Removing/repairing hail damage on deck

Question

I've read the previous threads on getting hail dents out of decks and the only thing that had seemed to work for anyone was to use a wet rag and an iron. Several people swore by that method and it did make sense...soooooooo, I thought that if wet & heat = dent removal, why not try a hot water unit on a hail damaged deck I was getting ready to clean. PRESTO, worked like a charm...virtually all of the dents and dings are gone now.

I know, most have warned about using hot water on wood, but I have to say that I really couldn't tell much if any difference in the areas that I used hot water and the areas where I turned the burner off and used cold water.

I'll post some pictures on this tonight if I can. Just thought I would share what worked for me. We get a ton of hell...oooops, hail here in Kansas and if I can advertise that I can repair the damage, I think there could be some good money in it.

If anyone else has a chance to try this or if you have already tried it, I'd like to hear what kind of results you've had.

5 answers to this question

Shane,

You could feel the indentations in the wood. If you'd like to see the full size pics (3mb or so), let me know and I'll e-mail them to you. I don't know if this will always work or if I just got lucky. The hail that caused the damage was in the chicken egg size category...pretty good sized hail for around here although we certainly get larger.

Shane,

You could feel the indentations in the wood. If you'd like to see the full size pics (3mb or so), let me know and I'll e-mail them to you. I don't know if this will always work or if I just got lucky. The hail that caused the damage was in the chicken egg size category...pretty good sized hail for around here although we certainly get larger.

Wow you must have been getting some golfball/baseball size hail!

Sure i'd like to see the fullsize pics.... seymore1024@gmail.com