Sign in to follow this  
Guest Danebob

Business License in NC?

Question

Guest Danebob

Hello to those who are operatinga PW business in North Carolina. I called the state about a business license and they say I don't need one. But I see other PW businesses that say they have one. Where are they getting them? Also, how much Insurance should i carry and why is it necesary.

Thaxs for the help.

4 answers to this question

Hello to those who are operatinga PW business in North Carolina. I called the state about a business license and they say I don't need one. But I see other PW businesses that say they have one. Where are they getting them?

You will need a privilege license in each town/municipality/city you plan to work in.

Also, how much Insurance should i carry and why is it necesary.

Most commercial work requires $1M....premiums vary so little between the $50-100K policies to the $1M it's ridiculous not to "upgrade".

Necessary? You can do a pretty good bit of damage to someone's home - can you write a check to cover whatever may happen?

Workers comp is a whole 'nother topic. For you as a single operator, a policy will cost you $850 and after that it is based on payroll. The policy won't cover you but will be added protection for your customers. Also, if you intend to do business for general contractors, the larger percentage of them will require you to have WC to get on their jobsites.

Thaxs for the help.

Again, if you want to call me, I can hook you up with my agent who will be able to answer any questions you have :)

Celeste

NC must be like VA. Here we can get a loca license for like $1000 or less jobs but they want us to apply for a class c business license for anything above that. I have a bid coming up for $2000 plus with the city and tey probably wont care if if is over the $1000.

No - here if you want to do business in a certain town, city or municipality, you pay....doesn't matter what the job is. We had to get a license to clean the Post Office in Elon and we did it for free during our CAA project last year. It's a privilege license, nothing more.

Celeste