Sign in to follow this  
sarowe

Shurflo Pump

Just a quick question for the pump experts.

Bought a shurflo pump model #8009-543-236 from northern tools. thought i was buying a 1.8 gpm 60 psi pump. can i really expect 1.8 gpm? when i test flowed it into a bucket it came out 1 gpm. it was set up with 10 ft of 3/8 hose on the inlet and outlet. not going through a sprayer of any sort. just free flowing into bucket. did i make an error? thanks in advance.

You'll never get 1.8pgm out of that thing when you start adding more hose to it. Just wait and see what happens when you attach 200ft of hose. You should have bought the 3.6gpm (or is it 3.8?).

I run 3/8" hose off mine aswell but I'm going to switch within the next week to a Flojet. Don't forget that the 3/8" hose will also restrict the amount of fluid flowing through it and therefore your gpms will drop.

It works for me b/c I'm used to the speed and don't need to move any faster.........still some guys here use 5/8" hoses.

Hope this helps

Don't forget that the 3/8" hose will also restrict the amount of fluid flowing through it and therefore your gpms will drop.

Interesting.....Why is it that 8-10 gpm flows through 3/8" hose just fine? I know what some will try to argue, but the answer isn't in the hose size, it's the tip size that ultimately matters. It's all about back-pressure and how it's handled.

Overly aggressive chat about 5/8" hose has some fooled, but the reality is it's heavier, can cause more damage when being dragged over certain areas and is somewhat of a falsehood with regard to 12v pumps. Will it work? Absolutely. Is it necessary? No.

Interesting.....Why is it that 8-10 gpm flows through 3/8" hose just fine? I know what some will try to argue, but the answer isn't in the hose size, it's the tip size that ultimately matters. It's all about back-pressure and how it's handled.

Overly aggressive chat about 5/8" hose has some fooled, but the reality is it's heavier, can cause more damage when being dragged over certain areas and is somewhat of a falsehood with regard to 12v pumps. Will it work? Absolutely. Is it necessary? No.

Makes sense to me Don! :cool:

Would it be the same for lets say a p/washer if you have a bigger tip you get more gpm? Smaller tip less flow but more pressure?

You never change the size of your p/washer hose do you?

Hi Shane,

A larger tip allows less stricted flow, reducing back pressure. The wrong orifice size is why some have problems with their 12v pump cycling back and forth. There can be other causes, but it's usually related to having a tip size that's too small.

The easiest way to prove it is to simply hook a length of 3/8" hose to a 12v pump and turn it on. With an open end of hose, it'll usually run until the battery dies. Sometimes the pump will get too hot first, but that's usually due to a smaller pump size or bad wiring.

Put a small tip on it and it'll usually start cycling. With the correct size tip, when the wand/gun is opened, the 'on-demand' pump comes on and when it's closed it simply shuts off.

Again, larger hose will work, but it's not necessary if everything is set up correctly. If it were, we would all be dragging 5/8" or 3/4" pressure hose around too.

I agree Don, I have been progressively upsizing the size of tips I'm running on my 60psi/1.8 gpm sureflo to keep it from cycling. I like the 6515 tip that is on my wand, which I used on a roof job yesterday, and it had plenty of flow.

When I ran the flow test I was using 10ft of 3/8 open ended hose. I know that 1.8gpm is not going to happen but I didnt expect 1.0 either. Anyway I'll give it a shot.

Don. I built one of your Phelps Wand and put a 6015 tip on it. I tried it out with a short piece of hose and it works great. Im going to love it if it sprays like that when I get the 200 ft. of 3/8 attachd to it. Should be delivered today.

Thanks.

Everyone has a system that works for them, and in the end, that's all that matters. I'm not going to be foolish enough to try to force a "my way or no way" opinion on anyone. How others choose to handle themselves doesn't concern me.

After seeing how many of these threads get picked up by the search engines, it's in everyone's best interest to think about what their potential customers might be reading.

:lgwave:

Don as usual you are corect. Something that lots of people don't think about in the equation is the type of gun or valve used along with the tip.

A straight valve connection to the lance has a LOT less back pressure than any type of gun that requires the liquid to pass through a small orface to reach the spray tip. If I remimber correctly we talked about that the first time we met at Steve's.

Chris from apple was the first thing that came to mind when I first read this post! I'm skeered :)

Don you are right but there has to be something said about a smaller hose with larger gpm pumps. I have the 3.6pgm and have been using the 3/8" hose since day one. Have no plans of changing at all because I have no intentions of galloping on roof tops.

My pump's pressure switch is crancked to the max and I use a 6015 tip on a straight through wand. Why is it that my pump does not cycle??

I attribute it to the length of hose. The size of the hose. The fact that the fluid has to go up 20 feet, down the other side, around the gable and down back again. Possibly the thickness of the fluid due to soaps added (although I think this one is minimal).

Putting all this into the equation and I'm curious if I were to use a larger hose would the pump cycle.

I'm guessing that the motor on a 10gpm pump is somewhat larger than on a 1.8 or 3.6, right? Could that be the attributing factor as to why you have no problems with flow? Could it be overriding the above criteria?

Do you truly get 100% 10gpms at the end of the wand?

Hey Guys.

I Have been reading all of this and I find it interesting. I would like to know if I can run acids through the shurflo pumps if I flush the pumps after use.

Thanks chavargo.

Hi Shane,

Put a small tip on it and it'll usually start cycling. With the correct size tip, when the wand/gun is opened, the 'on-demand' pump comes on and when it's closed it simply shuts off.

This is very interesting and answers one of the questions to the problem that I am having. My other question is: what size tip would/should you use with a 1.4 gpm 60 psi shurflo. I presently have a 8010 tip in my phelps wand and she's cycling.

Edited by bulletproof