Sign in to follow this  
Mike Cappa

Fire Hydrant fittings

I am looking for somewhere to purchase different size fittings to connect hose to a fire hydrant. Seems the ones I have don't fit all the hydrants in this state.

Anyone know any places to get these?

Unless your state uses odd ball sizes they are all of two standard sizes, small and large.

The small adaptor is easy to find as the tool is, you can order them from almost any hydralic hose mart, Beth, Delco, and a few other places.

Some of them over charge for the tools, I think I paid under $30 for both the fitting and tool to turn it on.

If you want I can get for you and ship have them ship and bill you. Or make a buck off you getting it and shipping it. LOL.

By the way are you planning to get a permit to use that hydrant?

when you use a hyd. your supposed to have a permit and a rented water meter.

Also remember that the hyd may not have been flushed out for a long time and to let it run for a couple of min before hooking to your tank or wash unit. Lot's of muck,sand,rust,ect....

I know all the laws and such, I use hydrants all the time. They do not rent meters here, you pay a flat fee. They want you to have backflow preventers in some counties, but don't enforce it, they don't even enforce the permits. I have never been asked to see one. Anyway, I have the smaller 2 inch fitting, but, yes, there seems to be odball sizes here. I have found where my 2 inch is just slightly to small, I think those are 2 1/2 inch fitting sizes. Then there are the ones with no small ones at all, just the large 4 or 5 inch opening. So, this has been fun trying to find places that sell this. As for California, it is illegal to sell the 4 inch adapter. At least, that is what I was told.

Not illegal to sell them, just to use them without permits.

Here we have to pay a hefty price as a deposit for the meter, $600 for contractors, I lucked out and was charged half price, then we have to buy our own back flow with a twist, they tell us what brands to buy.

Then every 3 month we have to take the meter in for a reading and get a bill for the water used, between $1.00 & $2.00 per day even if you do not use any water.

Have not seen the 4/5 inch size here.

Michael I was not implying you did not know that laws, I think we know each other better then that.

John T. said in a post that in NY you cannot get permits to use hydrants. Or something of that nature.

I know you weren't Jon. I do know you better than that. It is just every state has different laws. Then in goes down to city and county levels. In some areas here, they just say go ahead and use it, others say give us 10 for a permit, use all you want, then there are the ones who tell you to go to the filling station and they will give you all you want for 8 dollars. As for the sizes, I didn't think there were different sizes either, but, I have found out after this contract I got that encompases the entire state of Ohio, there are different sizes, most are 2 inch, but some have been 2 1/2. I also need to find the larger ones, but have noticed different sizes there also. I called a company today and they need to know the exact sizes and also the type of thread. For the life of me, I can't remember what the thread is called on the hydrant, or the fire hose.

Michael get the hydrant company name off one and call or write to them saying you cannot locate the proper size and offer to buy one from them.

Bet they send it to you free!

Talking about different hydrants, I have seen some with only one control and it is on the top, turn it opens all the openings.

Instead of plastic covers they have metal so you only open the one you want to use.

Then some cities now have those hydrants sensor adapted, open one and they will know and call the cops.

I got a lot of very nasty stares this afternoon filling up since I am so close to the fires. Someone did call the cops and I welcome that since I have all my permits in order and with me.

Had I not had it to show the cop I hate to think what would happen to me.

Nosy people ought to mind their own business!

Perhaps I should put a BIG sign up saying I have a paid permit to draw water from city fire hydrants so bugger off. LOL

Guest Sopowerclean

The thread type on most hydrants is called national standard thread. Remember if you use a hydrant to open and close it slowly as to not create what is called water hammer. if you are in an area with bad pipes you can bust one.

Mike,

Most hydrants have a 2 1/2 in opening on the small side and a 6 inch on the large. All Hydrants are national standard thread and you can get these couplings from any supply warehouse that sells firefighting equipment. Just do a search to find something close by to you.

Dale

Sparkling Detail

Not where I have been, the sizes vary, and for thread types...

I am going to try to post a pic of a table someone sent me, you will see there are many different types out there.

MIKE,

STOP AT THE AREA FIRE DEPARTMENTS THAT YOU USE THEIR HYDRANTS & ASK THEM WHAT (FIRE HOSE THREAD) THEY HAVE IE: NST, CLEVELAND, PITTSBURGH....BECAUSE SOME AREAS USE DIFFERENT THREADS.

HERE'S A CHART TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA, THEY DON'T MAKE A KIT WITH ALL OF THE SIZES BUT, YOU CAN MAKE ONE WITH THE SIZES YOU NEED.

THIS CHART SHOULD HELP

COMMONLY USED THREADS National

Standard

NH

Straight

Iron Pipe

NPSH

New York

Corp

NYC

New York

City FD

NYCFD

Eastern

Hose New York

Corp

NYC

Pacific

Coast

PCT

Chicago

Hose Chicago

Fire Dept

CFD

British

Standard

Pipe Thread

BSP

Size ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI ODM TPI

¼" 1.375 8 1.035 14 1.062 11.5 1.078 11 1.062 11 1.081 11.5

1" 1.375 8 1.295 11.5 1.660 8 1.422 11 1.312 11.5 1.295 11.5 1.309 11

1½" 1.990 9 1.878 11.5 2.093 11 2.100 8 2.125 11 2.100 11 1.946 11.5 1.933 11.5

2" 2.515 8 2.352 11.5 2.547 11 2.530 8 2.672 7.5 2.550 10 2.522 8 1.882 11

2½" 3.068 7.5 2.841 8 3 8 3.030 8 3.000 8 3.035 7.5 3.043 7 2.990 7.5

3" 3.623 6 3.470 8 3.630 8 2.960 11

3½" 4.243 6 3.970 8 4.070 8 4.052 8 4.125 3

4" 5.010 4 4.470 8 4.610 8 4.828 6 5.011 4 4.625 3

4½" 5.760 4 4.970 8 5.800 4 5.750 4 5.125 3

5" 6.260 4 6.057 4 5.625 3

6" 7.025 4 6.625 3

DOWN THE LEFT ARE THE SIZES 2 1/2" AND UP ARE HYDRANTS & YOU WOULD NEED TO KNOW THE (FIRE TREAD) OF THAT SIDE & THEN WHAT SIZE YOU WANT TO HOOK IT TO & WHAT THREAD THAT IS.

GOOD LUCK

as you see, not as easy as everyone thinks. If you only clean in a specific area, then no problem. But I clean in soooo many different areas and states now, there are so many different types of hydrants by different mfgr's, that it is impossible to know what I am getting into until I get there.

OK Michael it is time for you to carry your very own HYDRANT, just shut off water main, remove hydrant there, reinstall yours and turn main back on.

NOW your can use your adaptor to draw water.

Just reverse process before going home and your all set till the next job.

:thinking: :cheers:

That should have on the floor laffin now.

But seriously ever considered writing the state reps explaining the dangers of so many different sizes? I mean one major fire like we had with many many different fire depts. there could have spilled more headaches if each had different size threads.

rofl,

I had that conversation with someone today. It would be a fiasco if each department only carried their own type of fittings and had to respond to a large fire in a different area and couldn't hook up.

Mike,

Where I live in NJ and where there is hydrants, They are all the same. So the fire depts. do not have a problem.

You are right about the many kinds of hydrants I had my blinders on not thinking about other areas.

Dale

Dale, in all the area's I have been cleaning up until this point, they have all been the same also. I had blinders on too. I think it is very easy to assume that they all would be the same, but you know what happens when you assume...