Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

How would you do this?

You get an opportunity to bid a job from a neighboor who is the ops manager. You get the job, at no great margin.

Everything goes pretty good.

Do you give the manager a few $$$?

The bad thing about money/gifts is that they'll expect it every time, which may be fine if they'll get you more work. LOL, what I'd probably do is offer to cook them dinner and invite them over to show them how thankful I was, knowing they'd probably say, "oh, that's not necessary--just trying to help you out." Accepting Outback coupons is one thing--accepting a dinner invite is something else---but you still come out like the good guy. I'm sorry, I know that sounds manipulative, but you are my concern, not them, and I'm trying to save you money.

NO, no, no. that's a professional no-no. They will expect it from then on. I've done it before and it went to a small commission to downright extorsion. They would literally tell me what amount they wanted. I stopped it completely. People hire me because of me. I'm an expert in my field, and good at what I do. That person just gave you a name to go to or gave your name as a reference. You did the actual selling, you did the work. All the other guy did was give a name. I would say if he did give me thousands and thousands of dollars of work, I mean a lot of work, I would give him a gift at Christmas, but as a friend, not a commission. Nice gift certificate for a romantic weekend for two, a company coat, or some other nice gift.

Dan