Sign in to follow this  
suzuki98

Pda or smartphone?

Windows smartphone withWindows mobile 2003. I can sync with outlook for schedule, and contacts. I can also perform excel functions with pocket excel. I cannot imagine not having it. Before this one which I purchased 1.5 years ago I had a Palm phone. The palm was great too. One thing I liked better about the Palm was the graffiti using a stylus. I believe, (am not certain) the new Treo 700 is a mix between Windows and Palm. Functionality and Graffiti.

I recently needed to replace my IPAQ (lost or stolen by a FORMER employee) and switch carriers (from Sprint to Cingular). I bought Cingular's 8525. Syncs to Outlook, nice, full keyboard, Bluetooth. I use it for: phone calls, contacts, internet (weather.com), calculator, 2.0M camera and GPS mapping using MS Streets and Trips. OK, occasionally a game or two while killing time.)

The phone is pricey, but since I was going to have to buy a new pda and a phone anyway, it made sense. My biggest concern is how well it will stand-up to real world use. Cell companies, as I found out, do not always offer insurance on the most expensive phones/smartphones. I found coverage with Safeware for about $70/yr. I also use a protective sheet for the screen and use the Bluetooth so that the phone stays in its protective belt clip.

Smartphone through Verizon (Motorola Q). Functions very well as a phone, email center, wireless internet connection (through USB or BT for a laptop). Functions very poorly as a calculator or spreadsheet editor without added software. Cingular makes a very nice proprietary smartphone that's the size of a normal candybar-style phone (non-flip). I think they just released the BlackJack...looks very cool. I think it's a blackberry device. If you need full blown application ability (word, excel, copy/paste function, etc.), get a PDA, though.

Also, considering you'll be working in wet conditions, you might want to consider a GSM phone. As much as I like Verizon and the coverage of their CDMA network, you really can't beat the convenience of having the GSM card. If you drop your phone in water, pull out a backup (older phone usually) and swap the cards out. Back up and running instantly.

Smartphone through Verizon (Motorola Q). Functions very well as a phone, email center, wireless internet connection (through USB or BT for a laptop). Functions very poorly as a calculator or spreadsheet editor without added software. Cingular makes a very nice proprietary smartphone that's the size of a normal candybar-style phone (non-flip). I think they just released the BlackJack...looks very cool. I think it's a blackberry device. If you need full blown application ability (word, excel, copy/paste function, etc.), get a PDA, though.

Ryan, what type PDA would you reccommend? Ive been looking at the Palm Z22. Anyone have this?

I've never used Palm software, so I can't say. I've played with the Samsung PDAs and like them for PDA phones. I used an HP 73?? for work for awhile and it was okay, but I used it mostly for wirelessly controlling motors and actuators, not so much for other PDA use. Batteries on all of them suck from what I understand.

I use the Palm T/X and love it. It has Wi-Fi so I can check Internet e-mails from anywhere in my house. I use it as a scheduler and if you used a Palm and try to go to a smart phone you will miss some functionality.

I love Plams for organization and if I lost it I would be lost, so I back-up often.

My Cingular is about the same size (maybe a little narrower) and layout as my IPAQ - except the top slides over to reveal a full QWERTY keyboard. It runs Windows Mobile 5.0 and comes with Word, PowerPoint and Excel Mobile. Also GSM and 3G, so it will run video from Cingular and uses a micro SD card