Sign in to follow this  
DannyH

teflon tape vs. teflon paste

I searched this issue and it seemed that most of the posts that matched my search criteria swayed more towards the use of teflon tape rather than paste.Any particular reason why?I have used both in the plumbing industry but I'm not sure how the paste would handle this application ie; high pressures,heat.

Danny,

Having come from a supply house background in the underground water and sewer business I was taught that...

Teflon tape should NOT be used on a plastic 'female' threaded fitting, due to the fact that the plastic could be easily distorted and leaks created or have the plastic crack.

Now having said that, you are right, most everyone here uses teflon tape for everything.

I do NOT! I use tape more often than I do the paste, but I DO use paste whenever PVC threaded fittings are being used. I use it on both male and female threaded pvc fittings.

Thus far, for umpteen projects including but not limited to my PW rig plumbing, I have not had a single leak from the paste. I have had some leaks from the tape by either not applying enough wraps or not tightening enough or tightening too much.

Overtightening is also a reason for leaks.

The tape is much cleaner (you've got to be careful when using paste, it can get all over everything) and easier to use for most fittings.

I use the TEFLON PASTE. I don't like the regular pipe dope that most HD and hardware stores sell. I prefer Rectorseal brand because I've always had great success with it.

I use blue locktite on all high pressure fittings. It is removable and never leaks. We use teflon on all low pressure fittings. That includes black poly, which is chemical resistant. We do not use PVC fittings.