Sign in to follow this  
walter d

Help on concrete cleaning pricing!

Question

This is my first thread here, nice forum!

I'm just starting out on light residential pressure cleaning to compliment my Carpet, Upholstery and Tile cleaning business.

I've just got to make a bid on cleaning the concrete around the pool and part of the backyard, I'm in central Florida, which means there's mildew growth, oak trees stains and the like in a home where I'll be doing carpet and tile cleaning work, this area has about 1400 sf that need to be cleaned (around the pool).

I have a smaller 2500 PSI pressure cleaner from HD that has one of those crappy adjustable guns, so I don't think I'll be using this one here, and will have to rent the proper equipment, a 3500 PSI pressure cleaner with a 24" surface cleaner costs about $ 110 in my area, and I am not sure if this size pump will work effectevily with the rotary cleaner, I tried it with my 2500 PSI and it was a joke.

I'd like to rent first to see just which would be the right size machine to buy later, any recommendations on equipment and how much should I price this job and how long do you think this will take to accomplish with a 3500 PSI and a spray gun or the rotary cleaner?, all I want is to have an idea on how much I can charge for this particular job, the job should be an easy one, a vacant home, on what about equipment for the future?, any input will be most welcome, thanks!

Any chemicals other than pre spraying some bleach?

4 answers to this question

Rent a hot water machine for around the pool. You won't want to use anything other than hot water and chlorine unless you can prevent it from going into the pool. As for a pump to power the surface cleaner, the psi is not nearly as important as gpm. Rent a hot water machine with a least 5 or 6 gpm and you should be good.

I am in N FL. My avg charge for pool deck is $30 - $40 but by sq ft I would go at least 10 cents and more if really dirty. I do not have hot water at all and have never needed for surface work (helps with gum). I do not pre treat with chlorine usually - post treat with chlorine to continue the whiten/brighten. May use chlorine if extreme mold.

For equipment you want at least 5 GPM and 8 GPM is better. PSI will be at 3500 or more. Note if surface is painted. Some pool decks have been painted and that will come off with surfa0e cleaner. Also note the plastic cover can get sucked up nto the surface cleaner and break. They cost about $30 to replace

I myself have a minimum price for any job. I will not go out, estimate and then complete a pool deck for $30-40. Now if it is small and I am already there performing other services which I'm making a nice profit on, I will charge a smaller fee as a add on.

I do work in Pinellas(Clearwater), Pasco and Hillsborough counties for nearly 5 years now and consitently charge double than what was posted above as a starting point.

Just my .02. :)

the hot water is not a must, but it helps with tough stains, oil, and grease .... mildew, and dirt come off easy with cold water but GPM is an important factor as well as pressure.. You need an adequate amount of pressure to make that 24" cleaner run right .. I'd stick with 3500 psi and atleast 4 GPM ... Currently for flat work I'm in the .10 sq ft.. but if the area is pretty bad and the water doesn't drain well then I begin rasing that price ...... - just my .10 Cents ... hope it helps.