Sign in to follow this  
djcs0302

Help with a deck

Question

I have some flatwork scheduled for tomorrow, so I called the customer to confirm and while I was on the phone with her she asked that I wash her deck while I was there. Not wanting to tell her that I dont have what I need to do the job, I say, sure I'll take care of it. My question is...... All I have at this time is safe wash(granules) from sunbrite supply. Can I mix bleach with this or do you have any ideas in order to get a good wash. She just wants a basic clean. All help is appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Some might say not to use the bleach on wood as it can damage fibers or some such thing. The big box HD store has some deck wash with oxalic in it.. use low pressure under 1200 (I thinks) so as not to fur the wood... others will jump in here shortly..

It all depends on what she really want's by the definition wash. A simple rinse? A Brightning? Mildew Removal? The list goes on.... I would figure out exactly what she wants done exactly to her deck and then tell her you need to get the appropriate supplies to do the job, AFTER figuring out the current condition of the deck and what exactly is her definition of wash.. If you see that her deck is in need of some tender loving care, you may be able to upsell her a strip,brighten,stain. Just do a great job, pay attention to detail, and always do what you say you can do **Set your customers expectations**

Try using the search function after you figure out what she's asking, My guess is she's got a little dirt on her deck or mildew, you may be able to get ahold of some pericarb and call it a day

I try to stay away from bleach due to it leaving the deck looking almost white, not to mention that yes it does cause damage to the deck and if left on for any extended ammount of time will cause nail / screw heads to rust if not properly coated.

**laughs** hey everytime I wash something it involves soap and water. Speaking of which, I need to get to the dishes in the sink!!!

Greg's right as far as knowing her expectations. I've had quotes where the deck had old failing stain, and the homeowner thought a quick wash would make it look like new.

I don't necessarily agree on the bleach though. Cedar looks beautiful with a mild bleach solution followed by a gentle cleaning if it is just grey with no previous coating.

Questions to ask...

What type wood?

What type finish, and how old?

Mildew, mold, etc...?

You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear!

Elevated?

I don't necessarily agree on the bleach though. Cedar looks beautiful with a mild bleach solution followed by a gentle cleaning if it is just grey with no previous coating.

Here in TN I've yet to run across a bid for a cedar deck. So I don't have much experience in dealing with them.. I swear I would love to do a worker / Knowledge exchange program where I go see the odds and ends of the diff parts of the country..

Freshlook,

Come on down to Atlanta. I can show you decks everyday. This is one from the other day. Cedar wrap posts, Ipe floor and Cypress ceiling and front wall. All with what? You guessed it WTW.

I love the appearamce of WTW, but I guess I'll have to get together with someone who uses it. It seems like too much labor, compared to what I can make per sq. ft here. I need to shoot it, and move on.

Is someone in St. Louis using it? I'll help for a day,and I can rock an airless sprayer.