Sign in to follow this  
itswillist

Degrading the termite barrier by using bleach ?

Question

Hey guys, I was asked today by a chemical engineer at a crawfish boil ... Well more like told by him that SH (bleach) screws up the homes "termite barrier" and If I could find something that didn't do that I would double my business... He said the "run-off" of the bleach onto the ground degrades the barrier... Anyone know about this ? Any thoughts ??? Always like to have some information for myself and for any customers who may ask me that question in the future ....

5 answers to this question

That's been touched upon before. I don't buy into it myself. Even if I didn't have a monetary interest in the debate.

Let's say you use 50-65 gallons of mix on a house. You are using 20-30 gallons of NAOCL and 20 to 30 gallons of water. The assay now is down from 12% to 6% generally.

You are spreading that over 2500 square feet of area. Most of it is drying on the roof and you are rewetting it. The bleach is reacting with the algae causing it to die. Now that it is dead, most people rinse the roof when they finish. You are now diluting the concentration again and VERY, VERY DRAMATICALLY.

Now keep in mind the 1-2% bleach that is hitting the ground is being equally divided (except for the roof valleys) over let's say 200 linear feet of house.

Not to mention that the bleach would have to end up in that exact spot that the termite company dug the 8-12 inch wide trench where the poured in the treatment. The fact is the bleach will stay in the ground at the drip line and not permeate out three feet to the barrier. Even if it did, how much, can that much bleach (for a short time) affect the barrier?? Constant exposure...yes, one and a half hours...I don't think so in my opinion alone.

What about Uric acid??? Does a dog peeing on it affect it??

That is my unscientific opinion based on common sense and not facts.

Scott

I was a manager for Terminix for six years and never heard of this. There is no language in any termite warranty that claims any lessening of coverage due to the use of any chemical.

Having said that, there is a possible issue with bait stations (they look like sprinkler head covers) near homes. When placed, there is just wood inside to attract termites. Only after they start feeding (maybe weeks - maybe never) is chem added. Bleach might have an effect if it got in the station. Soil treatments, by law, must be performed in the soil at the foundation only - and not at the surface. So - unless the foundation is saturated, there can be no affect on the termiticide. Lastly, if you spray bleach on a representative from the termite company, it will repel him/her and protect your home from the termite company.

I'd concur with the bleach not being potent enough to make a big difference, but I'd like to know how the public reacted to a chem. that doesn't affect the barrier at all. Don't get me wrong, I love SH (bleach) and use it on every house, but it would be interesting to see how one could "up-sell" a chem. that didn't harm the barrier .. Although the product would prob. cost $15.00 a gallon ....